Honda Pioneer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been the proud owner of a p500 for a couple weeks now and thought I would share some of my accessories and mods. I ordered the windshield, fabric top/rear, and fabric doors. Overall I'm fairly impressed with them.

The windshield fits nicely but doesn't seal perfectly to the hood. I did notice a bit of water come in from the hood when on a steep uphill during a rainy trail ride. I do like how it lifts up to allow air flow at the bottom. Also, it is very easy to remove if needed.

The roof/rear is very nice. It attaches to the top of the windshield firmly and creates a seal so as not to allow water in. The roof comes with 2 steel rods bent up above the roll cage to keep it tight and not allow pooling of water. The rear window unzips and rolls up nicely.

The doors are probably my least favorite part. They function just fine but leave large gaps that allow the elements to get in. More care should have been taken to ensure a tight fit. Also, be careful when hauling the machine with the doors on. They catch the wind bad and try to pry open. I wrapped a strap around the entire cab and had no further troubles.

I took the rig on a fairly tight, somewhat overgrown trail last weekend. Lots of brush scraping the cab and no damage or scratches to speak of. I did introduce a rim to one friendly rock and chip a small bit of paint off though....... Initiation I guess....

Now on to my project. I wanted to be able to haul a bunch of gear as well as the pup. I had a bunch of angle iron laying around so I got creative. I can slide the dog crate in on one side and store extra gas and a couple small cargo boxes on the other. Above that is a rack sized to tightly fit 2 Rubbermaid Action Packers and small cooler. On the back is a place to strap a rifle case. The whole thing is anchored to 3/4" plywood and then to the rack. It seems to be pretty dang strong but I have yet to do any rough riding with it. We shall see how it holds up.

On a side note, I have a set of chains for my 1987 Foreman 350 (still running like a champ) that fit the pioneer fairly well. Should get me through considerable snow.

Hope my experience helps any prospective buyers or anyone thinking of building their own accessories.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the machine. That is one heck of a rear rack, looks to function perfect. In the future there is suppose to be a hard cab coming out for these (DFK/Moose) just in case things don't hold up as good as you want.

Side note: I want to see the old 350 too.. lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dug up these pics of the old beast. It started its life on a Louisiana hunting lease. Came up to Idaho in 93 with the big family move. Last year it was officially passed from my father to me. Sadly, most of its use these days is chores around the property but it does enjoy the occasional adventure. The only things that've been done to it since 87 are oil changes, new cdi, new rear brake pad, and ONE new set of tires. I have no idea how many miles it's got but we've taken care of it.

P.S. Good side note toodeep.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Everything was tough about those machines, even the ride.. lol Surprised a fuel pump wasn't in that list as they was about as common as the CDI. I just picked up one that has been in the trees for about 15 years that I'm going to do something with. It might go wild or mild, not sure yet.. lol

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new ride! I really, really like your set. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This a great setup that you have. I am impressed. I also think that you are lucky to live where you do. The view in some of those pictures is incredible. Looks like you are above the clouds.

Are you able to go up steeper hills with the tall load on the back of the Pioneer?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't done any trail riding with the rack all loaded down. I just finished it a couple days ago. I imagine it would have a small effect on cornering but i doubt it's going to effect hill climbing much. I'm not the type to try hills that run the risk of flipping me over backwards anyway.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I haven't done any trail riding with the rack all loaded down. I just finished it a couple days ago. I imagine it would have a small effect on cornering but i doubt it's going to effect hill climbing much. I'm not the type to try hills that run the risk of flipping me over backwards anyway.
Good to hear. I guess the Pioneer really isn't the best vehicle to do really intense hill climbing. You would probably have to get something a bit more ATV-like in order to take on super steep hills.

·
Registered
960 Posts
That's one thing I have always tried to avoid, flipping over backwards. Thankfully I don't go on trails that are near as bad to make that happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How do the doors work? Do you have to open the top part and then the bottom part or are they connected? Do you have any pics of the inside of the doors? Thanks for the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts