Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on the hunt for ideas, I've looked at Koplin, Mad Dog Gear and a few others and some homemade. I have welder and tools required to make my own but I did not look at unit to figure where to mount. So what are your thought I'm open to ideas? I have been just carrying in bed but looking for better or permanent placement.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Here you go Duwop, I haven't patented this yet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm as much interested in where you guys mount your carriers.....as I am which one you buy. Part of the justification of me selling the idea of buying this thing (selling the idea to my wife) was I needed it to cut wood!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here you go Duwop, I haven't patented this yet.

I thought I saw a pic of yours in a press, this looks to be hanging with bungees.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm as much interested in where you guys mount your carriers.....as I am which one you buy. Part of the justification of me selling the idea of buying this thing (selling the idea to my wife) was I needed it to cut wood!
That story would have not worked for me, my wife would have told me to take one of my trucks to the woods to cut wood. (I can haul a larger load) I had to try to sell the fun side to justify.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Small, medium or large saw? Are you going to carry it all the time or just when cutting wood? A small saw getting carried all the time I would design a press on the roll bar. Medium to large saw I would build a carrier off of the receiver or where the rear bumper would bolt on. I just was never a fan up supporting the larger saws by the bar.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah Duwop , technically they are bungees, but they will have a way cooler name in my infomercial. Like "chainsaw binders" hahaha

I have a Kolpin on my king quad. It's fine, never struck me as the highest quality. The rest on top is made of foam, so when you put your saw back it burns into it with the muffler unless you let it cool first. Of course after awhile that's no longer an issue because it's all burned off. :)

I plan to put a dual saw press on at some point. I just haven't found a spot I like. If the kids weren't riding in the back sometimes, I'd just mount them inboard on the top roll cage bars between B and C pillar, but I don't like the idea of those razor sharp teeth that close to the kids. That's why I did these bungees on it under the machine. This was the day we went to get our Xmas tree. I have been just transporting them in the bed. I have done one on the seat next to me and one on the floor, but my bars are long and my 660 barely fits in the cab.

So for now, I put them kitty corner in the bed and that does a decent job of them not sliding around, then I usually use a bungee or ratchet strap to hold them on the top of my loads.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I guess I was wondering, at first, why I needed a chainsaw press (or the equivalent) - when I had a bed. Then it hit me.....if I'm doing any work, the bed will be full of wood!

I'm interested in getting something. I just know nothing about them. My two saws are both 20", I believe. I have a Stihl Farm Boss and a Husky Rancher (I think that's the one). Neither is big. I'm hoping they're small enough the vertical carriers would work. I definitely want something that mounts outside the bed. I can foresee it being loaded to the max with wood.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The one in my photo above is a 390 with 25" bar. Your farm boss is is a little smaller than that, so as you can see, a basket off of your receiver would work well. Or a saw press mounted to your B pillars would be a good vertical local in my opinion. Depending on what your driving thru, you might even rig a press to front bumper. Kolpin makes a decent press. Around $75. It rests the saw on top of a plate and clamps to the bar. They are universal. Even my 660 magnum fits nicely in it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks for the comments, I have been out of loop again for a few days. Like I said I have been setting the saw in the bed which works given that I'm currently just cutting. My current problem was I was trying to climb an embankment out back and my saw gas can tipped and spilled out onto the muffler. It's ok I smelled the gas prior to ignition and cleaned it up. That has me thinking of how to prevent this, next time I might not catch it before the fire. The press will wait and see as its not needed I guess more a want. I have a small 18" saw and I do have an idea to fab one to mount on the front bumper or bed side..

·
Registered
269 Posts
You know.....one would think there would be a lot of great options out there. There just isn't. The Montana Jack system requires another component. The whole thing would run about the price of another Farm Boss....lol.

I think I'm gonna go with something like this (see link). Maybe not this exact one, as I'd like to have one with a rail that encompassed the entire rack. I can just carry the saw on this....in it's case (and bungee it down). I'll have to figure a container (something that can also be bungeed down) for the bar oil, but the gas can can easily be secured.

Cabela's ATV/UTV Hitch Haul™ : Cabela's

This will also provide some more use options, I would think. Any negatives to this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts