Honda Pioneer Forum banner

Deep Water

14K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  CSFI 
#1 ·
I am in the process of making a final decision for a P4.
But I have one question remaining.
In order to access my moose hunting cabin, I have to ride IN water for about 300 feet.
The level of water can vary between 12 inches and 30 inches depending on weather conditions. The bottom of the lake is sandy and very solid.
That is no problem for an ARGO.
But how deep can the water be to ride the Pioneer in it for 300 feet?
I will be changing the wheels and tires which should give me additional height as well.
Has anyone actually driven the P4 for some distance in deep water?

Thanks for your answers.

#3 ·
It's a Honda, very water capable. If you take the steps to make it that way. I would dielectric grease all the electrical connectors and the spark plug boot. I would also extend the air intake or make a snorkel tube for it, better safe then sorry. Extend a few vent lines and you should be able to safely take it in the drink.

I've been in a few puddles with my wheeler. It's been very reliable for years, just check things over when your done (differential fluids and such).

#4 ·
That almost looks like its Too deep!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Toodeep knows what he is talking about. Coming from that ARGO. You probably aren't used to water coming in the cab. That's going to happen on the pioneer. Depending on what tires you run, at 30" even your back passenger foot wells are prolly going to fill up. Not sure if they have drains or not.

#6 · (Edited)
I have had about 1" of water on the floor in the front seats with no problem. Everything stock. I never measured that but it would be easy to check. Seemed very deep at the time.

P.S. I would take toodeep's advice and take a few precautions.

#11 ·
Not to sure about how deep to take the pioneer but, if you do go to deep they are set up with a safety to not let it turn over. I had mine go through some ice a couple weekends ago and the creek was 4 foot deep or so. I drained the air intake that was full and flushed the oil 6 times to make sure all water was out and drained the gas. It runs like new again. Hondas are tough machines.

#13 ·
Stock intake is about seat height so you would be good up to that. I never chance it though because you just never see that hole or rut in the water. $20 of hose can save thousands in repairs. On the Pioneer it would be easy to snorkel and return to stock if wanted when it wasn't needed.

#14 ·
Thanks everyone for your answers.
Love this forum.
So much good information being shared.
I will be applying dielectric grease on all connections.
From what I read here, with new wheels and tires raising the P4 by 1.5 inches I will be getting 12 inches of ground clearance.
From past experiences with ATVs, I should not have any problem running in water with my tire submerged without any more modifications.
That would give me at least 24 inches of clearance. I could live with that.
What do you think?
I do not have my P4 yet. So I cannot get in the garage and take measurements....
Thanks again for sharing your info and your thoughts.

#16 ·
Hi! I am the resident duck hunting neanderthal here. I have had my P2 in water over the floorboards many times. Almost up to the seat a couple times. Bow wave coming over the hood once. No issues. I do not recomend trying the "bow wave over the hood" scenario, it was an accidental encounter with a low swag in a flooded bean field, and not for the faint of heart. Although I am normally only in about 16" of water on mud, I will be snorking soon for "just in case."

#17 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience GulfCoast.
If I read you right, 16 inches of water does not bother the Pioneer.
You do not even think about it. It is a normal thing.
And also based on your experience, I am thinking that stretching it to 24 inches once in a while is very possible without expecting any trouble.
But after a thorough Dielectric grease treatment.
Thanks again

#18 ·
Dielectric grease is wonderful stuff. Take the connections apart and grease the inside. It's better to do it before they get wet and start to corrode. I wish I would have done it on my Honda Rancher sooner, would have saved me some problems. They really should do this at the factory, everyone gets their ATV wet occasionally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.