Honda Pioneer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
welcome to the forum !!!!
not that i have herd but with the right tires i bet it would do good .....

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

No go here either but with the guys posting on how good it does on hill climbs with gravel, it sounds like it can hold its own on sand.

·
Registered
469 Posts
if the dunes is your primary objective you might want to go for something a little bit more powerful and with a more capable suspension.

but in no way do i think the pioneer can't handle sand. Its just not build specifically to do so.

what else would you use the pioneer for?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Driving in the sand looks like such a blast. The auto manufacturers entice us with these commercials of cars and such driving through the desert all the time. People in the south must get to do some sand dune driving sometimes. Its a desert in Arizona and New Mexico, right?

Are there any videos of a Pioneer in the sand on YouTube?

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have to agree with hoops on this one. If all you was riding is the dunes I would look at the more "sportier" lines form the other manufactures. If your mixing some trail riding in, work around the house or taking the family out riding then the Pioneer would be in the running. With the right tires it would be very capable of handling anything.

·
Registered
322 Posts
+1 ^^ I don't think its impossible really, with the right tires you could have a blast in the sand...

you'll need something like that. If your interested in a little bit of wrenching I'm sure you could squeeze a few more ponies out of Pioneer but you would need to speak with someone more skilled than I....

P.S welcome aboard mate, good to have ya :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have to agree with hoops on this one. If all you was riding is the dunes I would look at the more "sportier" lines form the other manufactures. If your mixing some trail riding in, work around the house or taking the family out riding then the Pioneer would be in the running. With the right tires it would be very capable of handling anything.
I agree, the Pioneer is more for the trails, off-roading, etc

A Sport ATV is where someone should start for messing around in the sand, best to leave these UTV's out of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah the pioneer should be able to handle any terrain without any issues. Unless you guys can think of any by experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mainly ride in dunes here in Oregon. There are some wooded trails. The main thing I like about the P4 is that it's inexpensive, it's HONDA, and it's suppper reliable! I like that I can haul the kids around too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sand dunes

Has anyone had a chance to run the Pioneer on the dunes? I'm really curious as I do ride at the dunes a lot...
I have been riding various vehicles on sand dunes for 40 years. I am talking huge sand dunes all over Utah....not the little ones you occasionally see. I have taken my P500 to 4 different large sand dune areas. Here is my review of the P500:
1. It is awesome for trails, mountains, mud, rocks and just hard work.
2. For sand dunes it is fun but clearly not a dune buggy.
3. The power is adequate but the tires are simply to skinny for staying on top of the sand on any really steep long inclines.
4. With sufficient running start, steep medium sand dunes can be climbed with stock tires in 4x4.
5. I can go all over the dunes but I cannot go up the real steep inclines, I just sink with the skinny tires.
6. RZR with slightly wider tires beats me all over the dunes with no problem but put me on a rocky trail and my P500 rules.
7. I need advice on new tires and wheels that will give me more sand dune traction yet not be paddle tires that I can't go trail riding on.......if I get some new ones, I will take it to the dunes and let you know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have a friend that has took his pioneer 700 to the dunes. He said it had a hard time going up the steep long hills. I wouldn't get the pioneer 700 for sand dunes. I think the 500 would be better with the right tires. Honda may release a 1,000 cc pioneer soon or a sport. That would do it I'm sure. If you can wait and see what they have coming out should be soon.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Its like anything else in the sand,,,,,Keep it moving and don't stop in the deeper stuff......I have rode mx bikes and mxquads and trx300 in sand.I believe it will do just fine with the right tires.Just get it stuck one time and you will learn what not to do.And yes there are better machines out there for sand,

·
Registered
81 Posts
I ride mostly in the sand dunes on my sport quad. I too was hoping to take the P5 to the dunes but just didn't have the trailer space for it. I think it will work but only for mellow cruising & taking a passenger to the drags/canal/vendors/etc rides. If you need to get up a steep hill, find an easier way to go around to get up. The p5 is geared really low.

I bought a rzr 170 last yr for the kids & it sank like a brick riding on the stock tires. Same thing with my kids Honda 90 quads. You have to air almost all the way down. the tires still look normal but it was amazing if I had just a tad too much air in them, they would constantly spin & dig.
I have noticed rzr's using their stock tires & they work really well. I think they are Big Horn's & those are radials. Maybe a radial would help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Pioneer isnt the "best" at really any one thing..but it does most things, if not most all things, very well...which is why its the absolutely perfect vehicle for me and my kids. - Pioneer 1000-5

1 - 15 of 15 Posts