Honda Pioneer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2014 Pioneer 700-4 had engine failure. I purchased the machine new and have roughly 1000 miles of very light use on dirt and gravel roads. The dealer said the cam chain broke, wrecked other engine parts, and Honda won't help because the machine is out of warranty. Minor problems I would understand, but Honda engines are supposed to be bulletproof!! Huge bill from the dealer to fix this engine failure!!!!

Has anyone else had a problem like this or have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Cam chain fail or the adjuster? Was there a lot of high rpm going down the roads? Chains stretch and usually fall off the cam sprocket. Seen it on a few Rincons and BigReds but not with that low of miles. A lot of high speed driving will stretch the chain faster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently both failed, the dealer didn't say which failed first. My driving was very light - no extended high RPM riding at all. Putting around the property, a little bit of logging road trail riding, and running over to visit friends a few miles away on dirt roads. I've had many Honda ATV's (and still own 3) and am extremely disappointed by this EXPENSIVE failure!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine wore the cam lobes completely off. 2014 w/ 685 miles. The dealer said they have been seeing a bunch of them. They even had the parts in stock waiting for me to call. $800 job no warranty. When they asked if I had bought an extended warranty I said NO! I BOUGHT A ****ING HONDA!!!

After many, many, many calls we got a check for $240ish to cover parts from the dealer. No paperwork or explanation, just a check.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Honda does do goodwill warranties but the dealer really has to push to get them through. Sometimes they just cover parts and others they cover the complete repair.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
too deep

i haven't seen any thing wrong with the time chains in the 700 or any change they been using it for a long time same motor as sxs700 big red , trx680 , trx650
honda stopped it goodwill the most a dealer can do is push and push and maybe honda will cover the parts and that with a lot of pushing , it been that way sent the new CEO took over , last goodwill i got honda to back up was cost of parts and we had to do the labor for free to get them to that

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine wore the cam lobes completely off. 2014 w/ 685 miles. The dealer said they have been seeing a bunch of them. They even had the parts in stock waiting for me to call. $800 job no warranty. When they asked if I had bought an extended warranty I said NO! I BOUGHT A ****ING HONDA!!!

After many, many, many calls we got a check for $240ish to cover parts from the dealer. No paperwork or explanation, just a check.

Did the new cam last longer? I have my machine and aftyer a month theyve now decided the lobes were wore and needs replaced at the same price you listed. Mine also has very low miles. thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did the new cam last longer? I have my machine and aftyer a month theyve now decided the lobes were wore and needs replaced at the same price you listed. Mine also has very low miles. thanks
I'm up to around 1200 total miles on the machine. It doesn't get used much but everything seems ok now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts