Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if there is a cheaper oil substitute for a Hodna Pioneer 700, rather than buying Honda oil? I know this is a special type of oil with different lubricating properties, for the clutch, so you can't just buy any oil. I would like for someone to answer who actually knows the answer. I don't care about synthetic I just want a cheaper oil. These Pioneers use oil so I don't see where synthetic will help much. Honda does not have an oil refinery so there bound to be a company making the exact same oil with the same properties as the Honda oil.

· Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000
591 Posts
Your manual page 128 tells you what API classification oil you can use.
NEVER anything with Moly.
Some owners use Rotella, I think T5.
Cheap oil is cheap....until it isn't.
"I would like for someone to answer who actually knows the answer."
Haha, thats a pretty good quote, uhm...good luck with that. :) (y)
And it would be nice if owners would come back and update what they did to fix a previous problem they had, maybe it would help someone else.
Have a good day

· Registered
2016 Pioneer 700-4
11 Posts
Not another OIL argument!

I have always switched to full synthetic oils in all my motorcycles and ATVs as soon as the factory "Break in" oil needs changing. I swear by Mobil1 Racing 4T and have never had an engine failure. It is labeled as JASO MA/MA2 and API SN. YUP, Full synthetic is more expensive but very cheap compared to engine failures. My engines fire up a lot easier and run smoother when it is bitter cold and run cooler when it is blazing hot. Not for nothing but Honda makes great engines but I seriously doubt they refine any of the oils they fill their jugs with and label as Genuine Honda. 10W40 works for me year around here in the NY Catskills.
BTW, I also only ever use Non Ethanol gas and treat it with seafoam if the machine will be sitting unused for any length of time. NOPE, it probably is not necessary but again it is cheap insurance for just a few bucks more.

GaryL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts