Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My machine is due for it's first service (initial 20hr service). How much money have you spent on this service? I want to make sure my dealer is on par.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I see the amount of $$ that people spend on there first oil changes etc: it makes me wonder how anyone can even want to be taking there machines in for simple stuff like that.Guess I've worked on and done all my own stuff all my life and to me thats a rip off. The cost of oils /filters etc don't even come close to those prices. guess its all labor and to me thats nuts because you can do everything yourself unless you don't own any wrenches and have got no clue as to how stuff works. I bought my first oil and oil filter from the dealer and let me tell you its not going to happen again. There prices were way to high for what I got from them just because it says Honda on the containers. If you look and read the manual it says that its recommended to use Honda oils/filter but in fact it also says or equilivant. So next change etc is going to be all equilivant and I'll just keep the bills etc; for warrenty if there ever needed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi FJ, I had mine done 2 weeks ago with taxes in it was $317
Holy S___ thats alot of money. I havent had to take mine in yet but I do remember when I called to schedule the first service for my Foreman, I asked what all they did and they told me they would change the oil, adjust the valves, and top off fluids. I went to pick it up and it was $211, I had to be a smart ass and said, "I really dont know how you stay in business doing this stuff so cheap" He just looked at me kinda funny and I paid and left.

Maybe one of the Honda guys here can let us know what really gets done to our machines on the first service...Ive got about $211 worth of curiosity and apparently another $300 or so coming up lol.

·
Registered
684 Posts
you are looking at 4qts of oil (i use shell rotella T 15w40 ) $13 at walmart
1 oil filter .....$4.99 at walmart
and 1hr to adjust valves and oil change ($65 a hr is our shop rate)
with markup on parts and labor you are looking at $95 + tax at my shop
(i also clean the air filter, check tire air presure and add gear lube front and rear in the diffs if needed and wash it )

·
Registered
310 Posts
you are looking at 4qts of oil (i use shell rotella T 15w40 ) $13 at walmart
1 oil filter .....$4.99 at walmart
and 1hr to adjust valves and oil change ($65 a hr is our shop rate)
with markup on parts and labor you are looking at $95 + tax at my shop
(i also clean the air filter, check tire air presure and add gear lube front and rear in the diffs if needed and wash it )
Would you recommend this same oil for winter as well, or something lighter?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Would you recommend this same oil for winter as well, or something lighter?
i run it year round in the companys ATVs that we plow with in winter and trail ride- work dragging logs with (foeman 2000 450, 06 500, 2012 500 and a new 2014 foreman 500) i just had to rebuild the top end in a 98 foreman 450 (and timing chain) with 17,000 plus miles on it that only ran shell rotella T in it .....dont buy into the hype about synthetic oil

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
With the Pioneers transmission I would stick with a 10w30. The heavier oil and you'll end up with longer warm up times to get the oil thin enough for everything to work properly. I also won't adjust the valve tappets on the first oil change, it's a waste of money and time. About the second oil change (sometimes third) the motor is broke in enough to adjust them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
With the Pioneers transmission I would stick with a 10w30. The heavier oil and you'll end up with longer warm up times to get the oil thin enough for everything to work properly. I also won't adjust the valve tappets on the first oil change, it's a waste of money and time. About the second oil change (sometimes third) the motor is broke in enough to adjust them.
So in your opinion toodeep wait and adjust the valves on the second service

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
So in your opinion toodeep wait and adjust the valves on the second service
Yes, that's what I recommend to all my customers. Get the machine broke in so you get your moneys worth. Most of the time the tappets will still be in specs on the first oil change but by the second they will start to loosen up a little.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I haven't run it hard at all only been in 2nd a couple times and 3rd once I've only put it to the floor once that was today in the gravel. Spun about 30-40 ft I was very impressed I've got about 18 hrs and 35 miles so around 20 hours I'll change my oil Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Toodeep, hit the nail on the head. I AM not a fan of dealers but I am a loyal Honda man. So I went to my local Honda dealer that our farm has been going to for 30+ yrs. I did not buy the Pioneer there (but Moose did!). The parts lady YES lady who has been there forever (20+)insisted to run 0w30 Synthetic BLEND (NOT full SYNTHETIC). "thats what we have been having customers with rincons and ranchers run for years" The 10W40 is more for the goldwing riders.

100mile service, I put the 0w30 HP4 Synthetic "blend" in it and I am glad I did, it now shifts smoother and cut warm up time in half.As much as guys say they let it warm until 2 bars show, they are fulll off ****. 95% of the guys on this board start it and go. I've never seen over 2 bars. Run better "looser oil" and change it more often then what the "wrench" tells ya.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, that's what I recommend to all my customers. Get the machine broke in so you get your moneys worth. Most of the time the tappets will still be in specs on the first oil change but by the second they will start to loosen up a little.
I asked the dealer where I bought mine about the 100 mile service. He said all the valves he's seen at 100 miles haven't needed an adjustment.

So based on that and what you've said, I'll wait on the valve adjustment and just do an oil change myself.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I believe that I am going to use Amsoil 0W-40 Full Synthetic in my machine.
Here is the bottle. Would anyone know of any reason NOT to use this ??? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.