Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered new tires and rims on Monday, got everything in today, Wednesday! But hey, Rocky Mountain ATV is in Utah and I'm in Colorado LOL. I passed up elk hunting tonight after work just to mount up the new skins and have to say, I'm very pleased. These are 8 ply tires and the tread looks great. Wife and I hopped in and took a quick ride down the drive and both noticed the difference in the ride....very much smoother. Is it the extra plys in the tires or that they are radials?? Don't know but we both noticed the ride smoother and turning sharp is more firm and not squishy or soft. I feel much better riding on more dependable tires after what happened. I had to add a couple pictures of the old Foreman I have had on the ranch here for 10 years. Those are 6 plys on that and have no flats since. Its a little dirty from hunting this week, but has been a great machine. I bought it new from the same Honda shop in New Mexico in 2002 or 03 as the Pioneer. (can't remember what year, that happens when you turn 50) :confused:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys! Your right toodeep, pic #5 makes the Foreman look like a toy LOL

·
Registered
100 Posts
How wide is the front now with the wheel and tire combo?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
322 Posts
man those rims are so gorgeous, it makes Pioneer look like a jeep with Mickeys.

congrats, let us know how they behave on the trails!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
man those rims are so gorgeous, it makes Pioneer look like a jeep with Mickeys.

congrats, let us know how they behave on the trails!
Thanks guys....will do redhead!

toodeep...or does anyone know what to torque the lug nuts at? I seem to have a way to breaking and stripping threads, so I just torqued these at 70 foot lbs. Manual just said to tighten them in the tire repair section. Anyone else use a torque wrench or just snug them up?

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Service manual says 98 ft/lb on the Pioneer, 80 ft/lb on the BR. I personally just tighten them up until they feel good/tight.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What is that huge machine in the background of the first picture?

Tires are looking great though. Do you notice a big difference driving the Pioneer?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Service manual says 98 ft/lb on the Pioneer, 80 ft/lb on the BR. I personally just tighten them up until they feel good/tight.
Going by feel is okay but at least with torquing it down you know forsure how tight each nut is. About $100 for a torque wrench, good investment.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Looks great!! You do taxidermy?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks toodeep, I figured you would have a service manual on hand. They are small kinds cheap looking lug nuts and was so afraid I was going to strip or break one.

What is that huge machine in the background of the first picture?
That's a freeze-dry machine, I have 4 running at my home shop I use for my taxidermy business. They freeze-dry velvet antlers, turkey heads, reptiles, ect.

Going by feel is okay but at least with torquing it down you know forsure how tight each nut is. About $100 for a torque wrench, good investment.
Yup, have a torque wrench, so might as well use it plus they are tightened nice and even.

Looks great!! You do taxidermy?
Yes, I'm a taxidermist by trade. You can see some of my stuff here:
Huffman Taxidermy, Wholesale Bird Taxidermist, Pet Preservation

Hose to do some more serious hill climbing this weekend, testing the machine and tires! I'll do some pictures.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Yall do some great work! Its opening whitetail season in the morning so im pumped about that!

Also, what size tires you went with? They 25's?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yall do some great work! Its opening whitetail season in the morning so im pumped about that!

Also, what size tires you went with? They 25's?
Mule Deer and bull elk opens for me tomorrow. Hope to throw one in the back of the Pioneer then dump in the yard! I think an elk might flip the Pioneer over??? :eek:
Tire size is 26": GBC Kanati Mongrel Radial ATV Tire 26x10-12
Rims: STI HD1 Alloy Wheel 12x7 5.0 + 2.0 Machined

sweeeeettt. lookin good. love the billet look.
how much did all that run you? :D
$819.25 for Tires, Rims, Chrome valve stems, 16 lugs nuts/with key.
They mounted them for me too and shipping was free. All I had to do is mount them and air them up.

Reactions: PioneerDan

·
Registered
322 Posts
what are you using to transport your gear in Pioneer right now? you have a gun rack already? who did you go with.... I think a bunch of us are waiting for Pioneer spec racks, only things out now are generix..

·
Registered
960 Posts
what are you using to transport your gear in Pioneer right now? you have a gun rack already? who did you go with.... I think a bunch of us are waiting for Pioneer spec racks, only things out now are generix..
Yup thats right.
Im still trying to find companies that will sell a Pioneer specific gun rack.
Does anybody know of any?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been using my Foreman to get to the back of our property and from there I walk. I have a Kolpin gun case mounted on it. I can also put the hard case in the back of the Pioneer and it fits snug across the back of the box.

Im still trying to find companies that will sell a Pioneer specific gun rack.
Does anybody know of any?
I see Kolpin has a universal UTV rack mounts on a roll bar, and even a 2 gun carrier. Gun racks that are open won't work here. In Colorado when hunting big game and carrying a long gun (except handguns) on ATV/UTV's the gun must be unloaded and in a fully enclosed soft or hard case.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts