Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us here either have GPS units or are looking for something like me. If you have been looking you will know that it is mind boggling to try to sort through everything. Lets help each other.

Post what you are using and how you like it.

Post what you have been looking at and why.

Post links to what's available.... units, software and maps etc.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I have a Garmin Oregon 550t its a great unit for geocaching and hunting but the screen is to small to look at while driving. I think the wifes car has a nuvi but I'm not sure it's maps will be useful in the woods. Interested in hearing what others may be using.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This must be the one you have Ga. I agree it is nice but too small to see while driving.

This would be the one you have Steve?

I am thinking maybe a minimum of about 7". I see you can buy GPS enabled 7" tablets for around $100 and there are a lot of trail maps and software available now. I am going to keep researching this route. I want something that is color with 3D view.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
That's the one Dick. I'm going to keep looking around and I'll let you know if I run across something I think will work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had (still have ) a Garmin Rhino 120 that I used for outdoors activities. It was doing everything it was supposed to do. BUT the display screen was so small that I could not read it properly.
So I went out and got myself a Garmin Montana 650. A bit expensive, but biggest screen available on a Garmin GPS for outdors activities with Topo Maps.
I use it on the Pioneer and I can read the screen....

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gagala I see the Montana 650 runs $600 - $700 and has a 4" screen. So safe to say 4" screen would be minimum we could read while driving?

That is a little more than I was hoping to pay.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Marine grade system flush mount would be awesome, like from a center console on a boat

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dick, you are right, this was more money than I was willing to pay.

But I kept watching E-Bay for a refurbished one (by Garmin ) and I saw a used one for $365.00 USD which came up to $400.00 CAD.
It said used, but I cannot see any sign of usage.

The Oregon is just as good : same fonctionalities, with just a smaller screen. It was my second choice.

But I got what I needed with the Montana : a big screen and Topo Maps.
Got to be patient.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I personally have not had much luck gagala buying used, that Montana is nice. I like the size of the marine ones and they would be water proof.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In the end, it depends what we use it for.
In my case, I need a GPS in which I can load Topo Maps that I can carry with me while hunting, fishing and exploring new remote areas as well as when riding my Pioneer.
So the Oregon and Montana were the ones that would best meet my needs.
Made my decision easy.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well after researching these GPS units I decided to go cheap plug and play to start with.

I went with the Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS they have been out for awhile and found I could buy them used in local classifieds for $40. They have blue tooth phone paring, FM transmitting and receiving, hold 1000 mp3's etc.

I then purchased Backroad GPS maps for my area for $63 that come on an SD card that plugs in and are compatible with the Garmin. These maps are way more detailed than anything else I could find. They have all the atv, snowmobile and logging roads etc. They shade private and public land. tell you which wildlife management zones you are in. Points of interest 1/10,000 high res. If you map a trail and upload it you get free updates for life. Compatible with free computer software like Garmin BaseCamp. The list goes on.

Screenshots on GPS unit

Routable City, Logging and Backroads

Hiking, ATV and Snowmobile Trails

3D & Shaded Relief Imagery

Geo-Referenced
Recreation Features

With this setup I can turn my Jenson MS30 to a FM station get turn by turn navigation on trails. Play MP3's through it that will mute down when instructions are given or when receiving hands free phone calls.

I may have to add a $20 external antenna where I have a roof and the light bar shades the windshield. Total cost $125.

No more Fugarwee for this boy. That's what we used to say after driving for 1/2 hour and jump off and look around and say "where the Fugarwee"! :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dick,

Glad you found what you were looking for.
As I said, you have to be patient.

I am sure it will work for you.....no more "where the Fugarwee"

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I still have to test it out gagala but looks promising. I see they have a lot more maps available to them in the States for free, not sure of the quality though. No matter what hardware we use we need good maps with lots of detail for the trails and most of them you need to pay for. I don't mind paying for a good set of maps.

One thing about these sxs's with roofs a lot of us can probaly get away with using the car type units which are a lot cheaper. Except for maybe some of the guys like Skorp who seem to be always buried to their elbows in mud on thier side with spectators screaming, LOL!

I thought there would be more people here using GPS. Either everyone knows where they are going or have not got that far with accessories yet.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts