Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned this Pioneer for three years, but just recently started driving it on trails. First thing I noticed was the horrible shocks that came stock on my EPS. Also, the tires were less than exciting and the wheels were downright ugly. Ok for a lawn tractor, but the ride on any uneven surface was miserable.
I was informed by a number of sources that 28” tires were as tall as you can use on a Pioneer. I wanted a 29, but I didn’t like the cheesy lift kits available for this unit. I remembered using ELKA shocks on my Honda 700xx ATV and wanted to upgrade the stock shocks as well to help the ride. I didn’t care for the 12” rims either.
Soooo, I ordered a set of shocks from ELKA set up for my specs and ordered a set of, in my opinion is the best UTV tire available period, which is the BFG Mud TA KM3 In 29”. I mounted them on ITP 14” steel rims and ended up with 3” lift from stock height.
Firstly, the tires fit FANTASTIC. The fill the well completely, but don’t rub at all. I took them up to the hills this weekend and the proved themselves to live up to the hype. Climbed like a goat. Traversed deep ruts like there was a bridge. 15” of running clearance let it roll over anything. I could go anywhere my buddy in his $40,000 Kawasaki could go and all I spent was $3000. Snow, mud, rocks, gravel or pavement. Didn’t matter. Ride was smooth and controlled. I also gained 8mph on top speed. It will do 57 now wide open on the street. I only have 250 miles, so I’m sure I’ll gain one or two more when things loosen up a bit.
Next upgrade will be a winch. Not for me mind you. So I can pull the Kawi out when he gets stuck… :)
If anyone rides in the east and central Tennessee area, I would love to hear from you.
‘Have a great week and keep the rubber side down.
Neal

Attachments

· Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000
591 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa
Nice looking ride! (y)
"I have owned this Pioneer for three years. I only have 250 miles."
DUDE, you need to get out more... hahaha, just messing with ya
I use mine around the farm, riding Our 40 Acre trails and for plowing snow.
This summer though, the wife and I have been traveling our Iowa back country gravel roads.
Put on over 600 miles. Checking out metal bridges and parks around our area.
Have a good day

1 - 2 of 2 Posts