Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing that the SxS market is very active in the used market. Is anyone here looking into used options instead of buying a new Honda Pioneer? I bet you can get something that has similar capability but for a much lower price.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Nope, only belt I want is holding up my pants. :D There aren't a lot of Honda SXS in that option, a few BigReds are coming up for sale around here but they are far and few. Might as well spend the little extra and have a year warranty.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Something I might add to anyone's thought process when buying a used UTV. Remember the SxS market attracts a lot of new riders and also a lot of people looking to have something to beat the tar out of on weekends. If your find something that seems like a steal. Get it inspected by a certified mechanic for that brand. You never know how well it was maintained. Or how long it was stalled under that swamp.

A couple hundred bucks for an independent inspection, will take some burning out of your gut, and can save you thousands right around the next turn in the trail.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I doubt it would be worth it to wait for them to go used. even then you can spend a bit more to get one brand new. New = better in this case.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The mud riders on youtube have pretty much ruined the used market for me. Moose is right how many of these were used as a submarine in a swamp or mud hole till something breaks or they drowned it out. Then are fixed and cleaned up and put on craigslist

·
Registered
252 Posts
Most of my riding on an ATV and now a SXS takes place in remote hard to get to areas. This means that I have to be able to depend on my equipment and I have always felt better when I knew the machine was dependable. I haven't always been able to buy new but I always bought as new as I could afford at the time.
Not a big fan of someone else' neglect or mis-use.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nope, only belt I want is holding up my pants. :D There aren't a lot of Honda SXS in that option, a few BigReds are coming up for sale around here but they are far and few. Might as well spend the little extra and have a year warranty.
To each his own. If it were me, I'd prefer a hi/low range transmission with a belt that cost $100 to replace than a fully automatic!

I am looking into a Pioneer now....and if I get one, that stock powerplant if going to be on ebay as soon as I get it tore out!

·
Registered
684 Posts
To each his own. If it were me, I'd prefer a hi/low range transmission with a belt that cost $100 to replace than a fully automatic!

I am looking into a Pioneer now....and if I get one, that stock powerplant if going to be on ebay as soon as I get it tore out!
what will you be installing instead of the stock motor ?? and why ?

·
Registered
903 Posts

What about the primary and secondary sheaves/clutches that will need to be replaced ( probably 2-3 times ) long before the Pioneer's tranny ever gives an issue?

I think we'd all like a low range, but i am not at all convinced that it needs one unless you are running big tires.

Rather than ruin a perfectly good Pioneer, why don't you just buy a RZR 900 or 1000?

·
Registered
456 Posts
what will you be installing instead of the stock motor ?? and why ?
Why bother, just buy the other one sounds like that's what you want anyway.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Small block Chevy and a Muncie 4 speed out of a Vega. What? I can't be the only one thinking that setup!

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Small block Chevy and a Muncie 4 speed out of a Vega. What? I can't be the only one thinking that setup!
Where you going to put the belt on a Muncie Rockcrusher?

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Where you going to put the belt on a Muncie Rockcrusher?
Its all about cutting edge over here Dick. Every Muncie set up comes with a belt driven rear diff. Drive shafts were way to expensive to replace.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ask the proud owners of the new Rzr 1000 4's if they're a fan of those "belts" Oh and they are a touch more than $100 now a days. And when they are burning through them in 1-200 miles that's some spendy riding.

I agree with the others why cut up a perfectly good rig when it sounds like your a forum "agitator" and really want a polaris instead.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yep no belt wanted here either.

I just put a deposit on a NEW pioneer and trailer today. I should get in a week.

I would have a hard time buying something like this used. People just trash stuff like this. And as soon as you start mudding things like this it just reduces the life of them.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yep no belt wanted here either.

I just put a deposit on a NEW pioneer and trailer today. I should get in a week.

I would have a hard time buying something like this used. People just trash stuff like this. And as soon as you start mudding things like this it just reduces the life of them.
Congrats on your purchases! Is that a trailer for hauling the Pioneer, or a trailer for hauling with the Pioneer?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts