Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time really putting the pioneer to the test.

Stock shocks are terrible on the trail. I was bottoming out everywhere. Had to modulate the throttle to keep the front end at full travel before hitting even mid size wash outs.

Needs a half windshield bad.

The top speed needs the limiter raised by atleast 5mph

Stock tires are terrible. Not tread or grip wise, but the sidewall is weak and got a huge gash from a rock somewhere along the line.

The trans weirds me out sometimes, after you get off a descent of a trail, it still wants to hold first gear for some time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, the seatbelt drives me crazy. It locks and just keeps getting tighter as i ride along. I got bruises from the **** thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
sounds like you just need to sell out i love my pioneer. it takes some getting use to after riding a honda rubicon 4 wheeler all these years but after a few rides the pioneer is the best and i dont worry about the belt breaking. i agree some things could be better but it would have cost more. i just put a set of GBC DIRT TAMER tires on my pioneer. the tires are 27 inch tires and are 6 ply and the pionner rides and drives so much better and they are on the factory rims. wish it had a billy goat gear but it has climbed everything that i have went up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds to me like you should have spent about $6-7K more and bought a RZR, then you could have a good ride until it quit and you have to get it worked on. Amazes me to read what some people are trying to do with a solid utility vehicle. Air intakes under water, bottoming out the shocks, ect......

It would be like buying a RZR then complaining that you can't dump the bed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Need to see some pics and maybe some video? We are headed up in June to the Indian ridge and Pocahontas area. Iam sure there will be things that don't appeal to me but very excited to make the run!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
How were the trails. I might go with a guy from work if they are good. What would you say is the best toy for the trail?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now that i am back home i can elaborate more.
and when i get a minute ill upload some pics, and my buddy is uploading video.

trails were good, really only the second time i have been on REAL trails.

we rode pinnacle, indian, and pocahontas. did like 120 miles.

i rode with 2 other guys, one had a RZR 570 with a decent set of remote res shocks on it, LED light bar, Maxxis 8 ply tires, otherwise stock. the Other had a CanAm Commander 800XT, which was basically stock aside from windshield, stereo and the like.

now more on my thoughts on the Pioneer and REAL trail riding.

POWER: i didn't really feel like it lacked much power, maybe a few times i wish i had some more, but it was enough for the trails. I think the major holdback from keeping up with my buddies 570 RZR was the suspension on the Pioneer, the shocks are just absolute crap.

TRANSMISSION: when descending a hill the trans is awesome, kicks it and low and really gets the use of the engine breaking, when you come off the hill to flat ground it just doesn't wanna come out of first for a bit, not sure what thats about. When you ascend a hill it just keeps it in first, which sucks kinda, because your pinned, and can't gain any speed, it doesn't really loose ground, unless its a long drawn out climb, but it never really gains ground either. it just keeps a steady SLOW pace. then on flat ground, the transmission is always changing gears, it gets a gel lot a work out. also makes for not very fun situations when you wanna roost a bit and kick it sideways in a berm. Actually kind of tuff to slide the thing at all.

SUSPENSION: it has enough ground clearance for sure, but again the shocks really limit the machine.

TIRES: if you buy a pioneer and intend to trail ride it at all, might as while buy tires when your picking out the Pioneer. the stock 4 ply won't last on the trails.

FUEL ECONOMY: out of all the machines, i had the worst fuel economy, probably cause i had to be on and off the gas so much to work the suspension to my advantage and not beat myself to death.

IN THE MUD: I went through a few mud holes, and in performed great, albeit i wish it had a little more power in one situation, it still went through every hole i tried.

I went everywhere the other 2 did, but i was less confident, WAY less comfortable, and really had to be cautious and go slow because of the terrible shocks.

a set of decent shocks would transform the pioneer, but i still don't think its at home on the trail as some other options. if your gonna dual purpose the pioneer, don't expect to much from it on trails.

The RZR had no issues at all that day, and the Commander had an overheating issues due to mud clogging the radiator. I had the most stops for failures due to gash in the sidewall of a tire, and a slighty bent tie rod.

Riding it around on my Property i had no dislikes about the machine, and still don't for that purpose, but i want to dual purpose it, and I'm debating keeping and putting some money in better/bigger tires and shocks, or selling and buying a new machine that will fit my needs a little better for the trail

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the update! I guess I will have to see for myself, I feel a little disappointed hearing from someone who has ridden the Hatfield. But Iam gonna stay optimistic, its a great place to ride and hangout!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think it would also have to do with what pace you ride. i was averaging 20 -26 mph through the trails. which was rough on me and the machine. if i was in either of the other machines, i would have been comfortable with around 30 - 35 mph. not that i need to run wide open balls to the walls through the trails, but i couldn't if i even wanted to in the pioneer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive rode with a whole Group of Rzr's I never had any problems keeping up. Exception of Breaking the rear sway bar.
i didn't really have a problem of keeping up per say, but he more i tried to keep up the worse the ride got. the suspension is terrible like i said, that is a huuuuge limiting factory of the Pioneer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I rode the Hatfield McCoy trail yesterday first time riding it. I have been riding the outlaws trails for years on a honda 450. It was my first ride on the pioneer rode around 55 miles on the Pocahontas and Indian Ridge trail also rode upper Pinnacle outlaw trail. My Pioneer exceeded my expectations did every thing I expected and a little more. If you really want to see what the razor an Can Am will do ride upper Pinnacle with all the deep water crossing. I would bet you would ride circles around them when there belts start slipping seen it many times. I will say the Hatfield McCoy was a great trail and I will be riding it a lot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hoblick

I feel exactly the way you feel about the pioneer. Your review is spot on. I'm definitely looking at suspension and tires. And with possibly Fox and Elka coming out. Idk if I can wait that long.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts