Honda Pioneer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. New to the forum. Sorry to ask for something first time posting, but I kind of have a unique problem with no apparent solution as yet. Checked thru the forums but could not find any answer addressing this problem. So, here goes.
Recently purchased (last fall) a 2015 Honda pioneer 700 4 seater. Very clean machine that runs great when it does run.

After purchase drove the machine less than 50 Kms, Started machine maybe 6 or so times and starter began to engage and disengage making a really loud and grinding type and sound. Sounds absolutely horrible. Then after a few more attempts, just stops completely. Nothing. Took it back to dealer and they said starter was shot. Put a new aftermarket starter in and it started great for another 6 times or so, and again, same exact problem. Not even 50 kms. again. Took it back to dealer and this time put a brand new original Honda starter.

Guess what? Ya, you guessed it. Same thing all over again. Less than 50 kms again and maybe 10 starts this time.
Battery is good, and dealer is confused. They can't give me an answer. Except to say to put in another new starter.

Question. Did anyone else out there encounter this problem and what possible solution did they discover if solved?

I'm just not convinced putting in another new starter is going to do it unless I correct the root cause of this problem. Besides, being stranded way up in the mountains of BC is not nice, as this is what happened the first go around.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever get this figured out? My 2016 is doing the same thing

Hello to all. New to the forum. Sorry to ask for something first time posting, but I kind of have a unique problem with no apparent solution as yet. Checked thru the forums but could not find any answer addressing this problem. So, here goes.
Recently purchased (last fall) a 2015 Honda pioneer 700 4 seater. Very clean machine that runs great when it does run.

After purchase drove the machine less than 50 Kms, Started machine maybe 6 or so times and starter began to engage and disengage making a really loud and grinding type and sound. Sounds absolutely horrible. Then after a few more attempts, just stops completely. Nothing. Took it back to dealer and they said starter was shot. Put a new aftermarket starter in and it started great for another 6 times or so, and again, same exact problem. Not even 50 kms. again. Took it back to dealer and this time put a brand new original Honda starter.

Guess what? Ya, you guessed it. Same thing all over again. Less than 50 kms again and maybe 10 starts this time.
Battery is good, and dealer is confused. They can't give me an answer. Except to say to put in another new starter.

Question. Did anyone else out there encounter this problem and what possible solution did they discover if solved?

I'm just not convinced putting in another new starter is going to do it unless I correct the root cause of this problem. Besides, being stranded way up in the mountains of BC is not nice, as this is what happened the first go around.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you ever get this figured out? My 2016 is doing the same thing
Actually the quad is in the shop right now. The mechanic thinks it's might be the starter clutch. But, he hadn't examined it yet. I'll let you know what the result is when done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts