Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer called me yesterday and said Honda just released their new and improved heater. Claimed much improved performance.

Anyone else hear anything?

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
They changed the supply to the heater. They now get it from the oil cooler supply line instead of the thermostat line. Anyone with the previous setup can get it switched for free (new hoses and the works).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Hey Guys,
I know you are discussing Honda heaters right now, but wanted to throw out there that our FIRESTORM underhood heaters for the Pioneer are selling nicely now. And we are offering them promotionally for just $419.99 shipped for a custom kit specifically designed for the Pioneer. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Where are you guy s getting this info? Is there anything official online that would give us the details?
I don't know if they have the instructions online yet or not. The heaters will come as they did in the past BUT will include another kit to route the hoses different. I personally wouldn't route stuff the way they wanted. In the summer months I would want to shut off the coolant flow to the heater core (less heat in the cab). The way they have things routed you can not add in a shut off valve. Everything would be there to install it so you could though, just routing the hoses differently.

How do we order one at that price? Can we use a code or something when calling?
Calling them would guarantee your getting it for that price, just tell them you seen it here (helps them know that their contribution to the forum is paying off). ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
So, toodeep, you're saying Honda will put the new kit on for free? Yet, if they install at the shop, there is no way to isolate the core for warm weather riding?

I'm thinking the original install they did at my dealership did not isolate the core. All I do to run my heater is flip the fan switch (low or high) and open the vents in the dash panel.

I'm certain some of the heat on my first summer's rides were due to that heater.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
The way I install them (if the customer wants) I install a shut off valve so they can manually shut it off in the summer months. What you have now they got the supply line from the hose going to the thermostat, the return goes into the bottom radiator hose. The new way is they are taking the line going to the oil cooler and adding the heater core into the system. More or less they are removing the line from the cylinder to the oil cooler and then running those lines up to the heater core and back down. No T's or anything in the system so nothing could bypass.

The way I do them I install the T into the oil cooler line to provide the heated coolant and run the return into the lower radiator hose like the original directions had it (they pulled the supply coolant from the thermostat line though which doesn't provide heat as fast). You can add a shut off valve anywhere in the supply line (your cost) and when it's shut off everything is still functioning like it is suppose to. With Honda's new way if you installed a shut off valve you would shut the oil cooler off as well as the heater core, not a good thing.

It would be easy to swap an existing system to the way I do it with just a 3/4 coupler to connect the hose where the T is now. If you know your dealer really good they might do the upgrade which would replace that hose yet route it so a shut off valve could be installed.

But to answer the question: Yes, Honda will pay to upgrade to the "new" heater hook up way for everyone that has one before the new instructions came out. They will replace the 2 hoses that was T'ed into and have the new hoses to run to the heater core. If your not worried about using a shut off valve it would be a good thing to get done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So what is the advantage of this new heater hookup? Mine puts out good heat. I do wish it would warm up sooner. Would making this change help is warm up faster? Thanks, Dale

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great. I installed my about two weeks ago. I have been screwing. Around with it trying to get good heat out of it. I keeped thinking I must have an air lock. I tipped it forward I tipped it backwards. I repumped coolant through the heater core and still nothing. Finally this weekend I put an extra piece of heater hose around the supply into the radiator then clamped it with a c clamp so only about 10% of the coolant was going into the rad and the remainder was going to the heater core. Finally I'm getting heat. Now should I install a valve in the supply line to divert coolant to the heater core during the winter or repipe the new way.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
So what is the advantage of this new heater hookup? Mine puts out good heat. I do wish it would warm up sooner. Would making this change help is warm up faster? Thanks, Dale
Quicker and better heat. You can pull your seat off after a little bit of riding and feel the difference between to two hoses.

Great. I installed my about two weeks ago. I have been screwing. Around with it trying to get good heat out of it. I keeped thinking I must have an air lock. I tipped it forward I tipped it backwards. I repumped coolant through the heater core and still nothing. Finally this weekend I put an extra piece of heater hose around the supply into the radiator then clamped it with a c clamp so only about 10% of the coolant was going into the rad and the remainder was going to the heater core. Finally I'm getting heat. Now should I install a valve in the supply line to divert coolant to the heater core during the winter or repipe the new way.
Did you tap into the top radiator hose for the supply to the heater core? If you did I would redo it and pull the supply coolant from the oil cooler supply line.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually it arrived today. Sad to see that the hoses connect to the radiator hoses, as has been noted to be a poor choice. I will have to buy longer heater hoses tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Any antifreeze for an aluminum motor will work. You should have got the original heater plus an update kit. You will have hoses and connectors you will not use. You will not splice into any hose with the update kit.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Crap, I knew that and forgot.. I haven't installed one of those yet so I have no clue. You can return it back into the radiator hoses but do get the supply from the oil cooler coolant line.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't actually think anyone has ever installed one of these firestorm kits.
The air ducts are going to be a challenge.

I bought some 3/4" hose. I will omit the existing oil cooler line. And forgo the shut-off valve. I will close the vents and perhaps tape over the air intake in the summer months.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts