Honda Pioneer Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Like toodeep said to daberry: faster heating. You don't have to wait on the thermostat to open before feeling heated air.
I attached a coolant flow diagram from my shop manual (section 9-2). You can see how the dark arrows (hot coolant) come through the thermostat and run to the radiator. But, the loop to the oil cooler is not affected by the status of the thermostat--picking up ambient heat almost immediately after start-up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts

That's a good setup the oil cooler is acting as an oil heater on a cold engine getting the oil to flow better quicker. Probably the reason Honda wanted to initially stay away from it with their heaters robbing heat from it. Nothing that synthetic oil wouldn't compensate for.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can see your perspective, living in the frozen North, Dick. You are correct that a synthetic's lubricating qualities are probably much better in extremely low temps. However, I don't believe the oil type (synthetic or organic) plays that big a role in warm-up time. The combustion process is what makes the heat. The heater core is fed by the water jacket and the presence of more coolant in the whole system (by adding the volume used in the heating system) probably slows warm-ups some, too.
But, tying the heater in at a point which by-passes the thermostat is a trade-off I'm willing to make (way down here in Tennessee). When it gets below +50 degrees, my eyelids start icing up...:D

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I think Dick is referring to the flow of oil to the transmission instead of the coolant to the heater core. I'm sitting with a temp of -7F at the moment and that will make a difference in the way the oil flows. The transmission is designed to work with a thin oil so when it thickens up with temps it takes more warm up time to get thing "prefect". I don't think the heater will effect that at all though since the oil will be warming way before you turn on the fan. Synthetic does flow better at lower temps than conventional oil though, I seen it first hand pulling a pallet of oil off of the truck in - degrees temps. You could of sworn 10w30 conventional was 80-90 gear lube the way it poured yet the synthetic 10w30 poured like a conventional 10w40as if it was at normal temps.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
@GhondaR I am not worried about it either was more trying to figure why Honda got it wrong the first time, most all heaters tap in before the thermostat. Figured maybe it had to do with cold oil flow.
I am a little more resilient to the cold, I am ok down to about 30 F after that its time for a heater. :D

@toodeep are you kidding its -7 F over there? oh man thats a bad sign of what's coming. Is it just me or are the winters getting colder and longer? Last winter seemed to go on forever and this year is shaping up to be the same.
Those global warming guys are full of sh!t!

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Yes, the cold moved in and it's not in a hurry to leave. By the end of next week we are suppose to be back in the upper 20's for highs so that won't be bad. I don't mind the cold if there is snow around to play in. When there is no snow, it might as well be warm.. lol We did get a couple days break from the wind, tomorrow it's suppose to start blowing again though. That drives the cold through you no matter what your wearing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Was twenty below yesterday. Pioneer is tucked safely in the machine shed and I'm finding lots of inside projects to do. Warming trend is predicted here, also. Problem is, it's always a couple of days away. I think it's the ol' carrot on the end of a stick ploy... Too soon to start feeding the cows hay. That's my opinion, not theirs...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Checked with my dealer today. He has the retrofit kit ordered for my Pioneer. Might be a week or two before he gets it. It will be procured and installed at no cost to me. Honda considers it a warranty issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I pulled my heat off the top line of the oil cooler.. I didnt know it then but I messed up and did it rite as far as I can see .. the oil cooler still gets the heat the same that way .. thanks Dick for showing me how the coolant moves around .. I put in a Aqua Hot ..AH-200 ... up on the rollbar under the roof in the back aiming at the windshield .. works good at keeping the frost off of it ..seemed kinda loud at first .. But when Im driveing around ,,its not so bad .. and I didnt have to drill any holes in anything its a small unit 6000 btu,s..seems good enuff for me .. the price was rite too 220.00 bucks .. works for me .. I have other 50 bucks in fittings , hoses and valves...

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I didnt know it then but I messed up and did it rite ...
Now that's funny, got to love it when that happens...

You need to thank @GhondaR for posting that pick, I just expanded it so everyone could see it better. Maybe I shouldn't do that ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
is it normal that i only get cold air when it idles? if i rev the motor a little bit i get good heat so im just wondering if i have a air lock or what could do this

by the way i am connected to the termostat hose

if its a air lock how to get rid of it ? sorry new to this

·
Registered
86 Posts
Won't hurt my feelings any... I should have posted it as a cut and paste. Matter of fact, I'm having trouble seeing pictures on this site. I'm running IE 11, so it can't be that my browser is out of date. Maybe a setting somewhere I've missed. Don't seem to have it on other sites. Hmmm.
As for the heater comments: I completely forgot that the gearbox also was reliant on the crank case oil. This machine is so "car-like" with the direct-drive gearbox, I forget that it's still very much a motorcycle design at its roots.
The synthetics also perform better on the hot end of the spectrum. I had a snow plow on my old TRX-300 4x4. One day I was pushing mulch that some tree trimmers had dumped. Back and forth. Hot day. No oil cooler--just air. Oil light came on. First time ever. I had just changed the oil a few weeks earlier. Used Havoline, or some regular motor oil. Took it straight to the garage, drove to town and bought 3 quarts of Bel Ray racing oil. Finished that job the next day in 90 degree temps. Never saw the oil light again. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
is it normal that i only get cold air when it idles? if i rev the motor a little bit i get good heat so im just wondering if i have a air lock or what could do this

by the way i am connected to the termostat hose

if its a air lock how to get rid of it ? sorry new to this
Welcome to the forum. That is pretty much normal from the supply line it is hooked to. The water pump just isn't strong enough at idle to force the coolant through the heater lines.

Won't hurt my feelings any... I should have posted it as a cut and paste. Matter of fact, I'm having trouble seeing pictures on this site. I'm running IE 11, so it can't be that my browser is out of date. Maybe a setting somewhere I've missed. Don't seem to have it on other sites. Hmmm.
The forum software is having problems with IE at the moment. The techs are checking into it though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey Guys,
I know you are discussing Honda heaters right now, but wanted to throw out there that our FIRESTORM underhood heaters for the Pioneer are selling nicely now. And we are offering them promotionally for just $419.99 shipped for a custom kit specifically designed for the Pioneer. Thanks!
Damn, these things are selling for $399 now. I should have waited for the price drop! lol

Or, maybe this isn't the same design as before. Is it better?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts