Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Newbie to the forum, no newbie to SXS's and other forums.

Owned many Honda ATV's, motorcycles, cars etc. Very reliable and they rarely ever let me down over all the other manufactures.

Heavy into motor/motosports all my life. Raced cars, MX, full MX track in past, and now a off road track on property. Run and rally the dunes and our roads in modified a Can Am X3 RS Turbo R.

Time to move off the ATV's and move into UTV's for utility purposes on the 30 acres in NW Oregon. The first one we needed is a very reliable, lower price tag, small footprint/radius with a bed and why we ended up going for the Honda 520 over all the other manufactures. After making many calls with dealers in the surrounding area, they were all saying maybe June or later before we would get one which was very disappointing, so we came very close to going a different route.

Well, we received a call that one was coming in late April so we jumped on it! My other half would have preferred red, but being beggar's, green will do!

Will start off with a winch, (trying to decide if it's worth $280 labor for them to install? :confused:).
Will be adding a roof, lightbar, interior lights, reverse lights, mirrors at first and will be searching the forum for experiences.

Looking forward on participating in the group, however since they are so reliable 馃 I probably won't be on here as often than with my "other" machines and forums.馃槈

(Wonder if the will be a section created for the 520?)

Registered
I got my 520 about a month ago so this is a initial review. I ordered mine the day they showed up on the Honda website so I was first in line. Like you I have two other bulletproof Honda ATVs. Glad you are getting yours soon. Many others will not be so fortunate.

I like it for the same reasons you listed, small size to fit on our ATV trails, LOVE the dump box. The two across seating is great. Our state does not permit two riders on a single rider ATV. We have a 40 acre parcel and National Forest and logging roads to ride on.

Some comments. It DOES have a super low first gear - like the old Fore Traxs. I like the paddle shifters better than the automatic. The automatic shifts rough but is supposed to break in after use. It will crawl through lots but does not have a front locking differential. You can buy one aftermarket. Like you, I have winch with remote should I hang it up.

A complaint is it has zero storage. I added an under hood storage unit, a locking glove compartment, and a soft sided bag that hangs across the top rails.

I added a Honda tilt windshield - which you need to tilt out to open the hood to get at the storage. I also added a Honda roof. Lastly I added Honda soft doors for the 520. $$$$. They are tighter than the old 500s per the dealership and seem to be. A few odd things. You need to unzip the window to open the door. It does not have a handle on the outside. It does have a separate zip area for the dump box lever. You will note that it will be tight getting into the seats with the doors. For the rear panel I have an Extreme Metal Products sold acrylic panel instead of the Honda soft rear panel. This is really your preference of one over the other.

The other thing that I noticed is that the motor noise is more noticeable compared to my ATVs. No big deal but something to be aware of. I like the larger engine than the 500 and the larger tires. The suspension has been improved but can still be better. No power steering but I really do not need it. You can get an aftermarket if you need it.

Hope this helps. I suspect you will love you unit as much as I do.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As mentioned in a different post, we were taken by a dishonest dealer in Beaverton OR. Took our deposit on a particular 520, then to call down the road to say "Sorry, we took a deposit ahead of yours so therefore we can't sell it to you".
Pretty obvious they sold it for more $$.

Found a 700 we are picking up tomorrow for not much more than the 520. After looking at all the reviews I feel it was meant to be, a better choice overall.

Registered
So sorry to hear about your "experience". Our dealer is unbelievably upfront and honest. We will continue to use them in the future. It is hard to find someone you can trust. Glad you got a 700. We really needed the smaller 520 on several levels. I did like the 700s but they just did not fit our needs. As you mentioned, it was really about what you need and not really the difference in the dollars. Have a good time!

Registered
Hello all,

I was wondering if a Silent Rider would work to cut the noise down and if so would it even fit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts