Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my pioneer for a little over a month and when it is cold it won't go. Started out it just wouldn't go up hill, the speed indicates it is going faster even when setting still. Yesterday it did it on flat ground. Once it warms up it goes fine. Any ideas? The dealer I bought it at is over 3 hours away and I would rather not take it back if it is something I can fix myself. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Sure sounds like you may have one of the defective mufflers like some of us have experienced. If you remove the baffle you might be able to verify if it is damaged.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it's running right and doesn't bog down it's probably not the muffler, but that's easy to check. Check your oil. If it's at the proper level, call your dealer and see if a lower viscosity oil will work. The oil gets cold and doesn't flow easily and until the engine warms up the oil it won't get into the trans properly. I think maybe some of the northern owners might be able to clarify that for you. Moose??

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
alapcafarmer could you elaborate on this statement you made? "the speed indicates it is going faster even when setting still."

ddalme one of the reasons I suspected the muffler was in another thread he mentioned that 35 mph was top end.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like its not warmed up. It takes a little while to get the oil pumping even here in south FL. I wouldnt get on it to hard until it is warmed up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
alapcafarmer could you elaborate on this statement you made? "the speed indicates it is going faster even when setting still."

ddalme one of the reasons I suspected the muffler was in another thread he mentioned that 35 mph was top end.
35??-that's an indication of a busted muffler. Your right Dick-didn't see that post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine did the same thing on a cold day without letting it warm up.. After she warmed a little she went just fine. I think it may be the cold oil thing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Have you changed the oil and if so what weight did you use Also make sure the washer is put back on in between the spring and filter

·
Registered
658 Posts
if he is only getting 35 after the machine is warm then its muffler if hes getting 35 without it warming up its the oil being cold

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I have some things to chime in on on the whole lack of motivation problem. First of all I wont own my new P4 for seven more days. BUT i just sold my 2005 Rincon which shares the same motor/drive that's in the pioneer. This power plant has been in production since 2003 and I can attest to its durability! In my experience, Of all important things that really matters to the lifespan of your power-plant, warming it up WELL before you take off is at the top of that list. Its just critical. Simple as that. If your machine isint pulling you like it should when its cold, you need to stop & let the thing warm up!! It needs to run until the oil is warmed up enough to flow thru the torque converter like it needs to. Before you assume its Honda's fault, (muffler??) you may want to look into what they have written about flogging this power-plant when its cold.... I'm sure they don't endorse it...

·
Registered
658 Posts
If its 35 top speed warm and your on stock tires there is something wrong with your machine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts