Honda Pioneer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my p500 for about 2 months now. Noticed a noise coming from the rear differential. When you are in between coasting and putting power to the engine, you can hear a clunking noise coming from the rear differential. This noise goes away when putting power to it or if the engine slows down the machine. Took it into the dealer, and he called Honda and they said it is normal. The machine only has 19 hours on it and about 160 miles. Is it possible for this noise to go away after more miles and hours? Just a little concerned. I am used to the noisy shifting, but with more practice on my part, the shifting is much smoother for up shifts. Down shifts are another matter.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The 500 looks to use the same diff as the 700 ( minus the speed sensor ). If that's the case, then yes...its normal. Usually does it worse after some miles to heat it up.

Remember...IRS machines have a lot of parts that add a little bit of play. Then hang a disc off the front...and you've got a recipe for pops and clanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 2000 miles on my p500 and its made that noise since new. I thought it was too much gear lash but it hasn't got any louder. I agree that down shifting is harsh at any more than a crawl, but the unit has been bullet proof so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this is good news. I was concerned with the noise. It is still a little distracting when riding, but as long as it runs, no worries.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Still, keep us posted on how things go with it over time. Hopefully that sound doesn't amount into something that's a real problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might change out the oil and replace it with some Valvoline synthetic hypoid oil with some lucas oil stabilizer in it. Wondering if this will quiet it down some. Opinions?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I might change out the oil and replace it with some Valvoline synthetic hypoid oil with some lucas oil stabilizer in it. Wondering if this will quiet it down some. Opinions?
I did syn mainly to try and quiet the gear noise, but i can't say it did anything for the clanking. I'm not a big fan of snake-oil type additives. All you need is quality lube in the proper amount.

If you want an illustration of where the noise comes from ( in part ), jack the rear off of the ground with the parking brake on and kick the tires like you are trying to turn them. You will see the wheel rotate a couple of inches back and forth from the play and "clank" with each oscillation.
Now remember that there is still a bit of play in front of the brake ( joints, shafts ) that you aren't seeing with this example.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know why Honda can't engineer these noises out of their machines. There is absolutely no excuse for it, and no, it is not normal. Even my New Holland tractor doesn't have that noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts