Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As simple as this seems I'm having some problems with the Pioneer's horn accessory and am wondering if this is why the installation instructions aren't posted on Honda.com... although I do have a copy.

Question: Has anyone installed the OEM horn and if so do you know where the switch wires plug in to (red power & blue accessory sub-harness?)?

It seems as thought there should be additional wiring to the battery. I may be missing something simple however.. I've installed virtually every other option and have never had this issue.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Do you have the auxiliary sub harness? Not the one with the voltage meter and switches but the $5 one that plugs into the acc outlet. I haven't installed a horn yet but I have everything at the shop I can look at and possibly give you an idea.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup.. I sure do. The sub harness actually makes sense in terms of how it gets installed and connects to the bell of the horn. It's the horn button where things get a little sketchy.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Been reading the instructions and they need help.. lol From the sub harness you should have a power and ground. The power (I'm guessing since I don't have the colors of the wires) is going to run through the switch and then to the horn sub harness. The ground wire will go directly to the horn (horn sub harness).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's right.. There's no power connection from the sub harness. That's where I'm struggling right now. I've searched high and low on the internet and found nothing.. hence my posting here which has always helped.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Would you happen to have a pic of your sub harness? You should have 2 wires coming out for the horn and a single wire that would go the backup alarm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mystery continues.. Have been on the phone with two separate Power dealers this morning and neither have installed a horn.. which seems rather odd. However they acknowledge the instructions appear to be inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
The wires should be there if you have the needed sub harness. In this thread they are using the same harness to hook up other stuff.

Power supply for accessories

Here's a very fast and crude sketch of what the wiring diagram would be like for the horn system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Photos

Here are photos of everything to complete the horn setup but the actual horn button. You can see the blue/red and red wire that comes from the actual button. The next picture has the accessory sub harness and horn bell. It's black and white in terms of how the sub harness replaces the old one and the bell attaches it's green and white wires to the sub harness. The fourth wire from the sub harness is for the backup alarm. There's no place for the blue/red and red wires to attach.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
White is + and green is -. It's all there, just forget the colors of the horn button wires when hooking it up, they won't match. Both of those wires will go to the white wires. I think these are left over buttons from the BigRed so the colors are off.

Green from horn harness will go to the green on the aux harness. White from horn harness will plug into the blue from the horn button. Red from the horn button will go to the white from the aux harness.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wanted a little loader horn on mu P2. I found a 100db air horn with relay and brass push switch on sale at my local auto parts store. They were not going to carry it any more and I got it for $20 (regular $50) I drilled a hole just under the little Honda badge on th dash for the switch and used pull ties to mount the horn ( about 5 x 5 x 4 inches) under the hood, next to the glove box. Tied into cig lighter wire for power and done. Scared the **** out of my wife and dogs when I set it off the first time in the garage. She was in the house... LMAO

·
Registered
7 Posts
horn button location

So in the honda horn kit, is the horn button dash mounted or in the steering wheel.

On a side note, I am installing a $15 air horn, I bought the $5 sub assembly more just to see what it was since I could not find any images. Figured for only $5 risk was minimal. Seems completely unnecessary, unless you are going to spend too much ($79) buying the honda horn and back up alarm. Even then, would be pretty simple connect without.

In case anyone else is curious, pic of harness here: dollar to give sense of scale. (this is for a 2015 700-4)

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
The first one I installed, I ran into the lack of info. with the instructions. I just used the P500 accessory horn wiring schematic and disregarded the horn button wire colors as mentioned above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pioneer 700 accessory Sub Harness

Now I feel stupid. Using the 500 instructions ('cause I can't find any for 700) I don't even see where to connect the accessory sub harness (which did not come with any instructions of its own). I looked at every wire I think but didn't see the 'dummy plug' all wires seemed to be connected to something. I bought the stupid thing so figured I might as well use it - but nowhere to connect. Edit: I searched and found on another forum honda accessory harness | Honda Pioneer SxS Forum DG Rider on 7 Oct 14 clarified this replaces the harness from the accessory power (i.e. the cigarette lighter power source). You remove the installed connection on the back of the cig adapter and the green connection attached to the center of the frame and insert the sub harness. Since the original wire is tie wrapped and tie wrap is difficult to see, I left it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gents , I'm also getting ready to install a horn on my new 500. I have the horn kit and sub harness. I haven't started pulling panels or plates to look around . Where exactly on this beast is the access to do the plugging in ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts