Honda Pioneer Forum banner

Perfect Winch Switch mounting location?

21K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  CAMOXJ 
#1 ·
OK...you're the head honcho at Warn for a day. You can have anything you want designed and implemented --- re: a perfect way to mount winch switch (in/out) in a UTV.

Let's hear yours.

I can't help but think there's a better way out there....than what we have readily available to us, currently. I don't think they're trying very hard.

#2 ·
flush mount box something skinny where it can be mounted anywhere and take up minimal space. but have room for aux cable hookup. something 3or 4 inch square about 2 inch deep

#3 ·
A wireless remote with a charging dock. All you would need is 2 small wires ran to the charging dock (to keep the remote batteries fresh) and that could be mounted with simple screws or 2 sided tape. When it's in the dock it would act as a "in cab" switch but you could slide it out and use it anywhere also. Hiding small wires (even a small hole to run them through the dash) would be easy to do and they wouldn't have to be any larger than speaker wire.

#4 ·
The perfect mount for me would be switch right on the steering wheel similar to what many cars have for a volume control or station scroll with a up and down button. No need to take hands off the wheel just move your thumb over and toggle. I am thinking of this mainly for plowing snow.

#6 ·
OK...you're the head honcho at Warn for a day. You can have anything you want designed and implemented --- re: a perfect way to mount winch switch (in/out) in a UTV.

Let's hear yours.

I can't help but think there's a better way out there....than what we have readily available to us, currently. I don't think they're trying very hard.
I have the perfect one in my mind right now. Unfortunately, my brain is too clogged up with guns, boobs, and other modifications to describe it.

#7 · (Edited)
On tractors, many folks will mount an electric actuator switch on the loader's joystick. They then operate a cylinder on a snow plow or a front grapple that way as they operate the loader controls.

On a UTV……I would think an electric actuator switch (to run the winch) could be located on the gear shift lever. When plowing your normally shifting from Fwd to Rev with your right hand….and that would allow you to also operate the winch at the same time. No? :)

Of course that shift lever has to run thru the "gate" and that may be hard on a wire. May require a hollow tube for the shift lever (?).

#9 ·
If I ever get into any heavy plowing, would the Warn wireless hold up to that much switching (in/out)?

Also....does anyone just use the wired hand-held....and not even mess with mounting the rocker switch?
I've never had an issue with my wireless. Regardless of usage. You can push those buttons to your hearts content. You can also push those buttons anywhere within 50 feet of the winch.

In my Pioneer, winch control is only wireless. The factory toggle is in the bottom of the glovebox still bundled up with its wires.

#11 ·
It came with my winch. I have run the XT series from Warn, which includes the wireless setup for my winches for about the past 5-6 years. Zero failures or complaints and I'd say I have heavy winch usage.

Reactions: Tree guy
#13 ·
I have to think that's the same remote. Only difference will be that you'll maybe need to pair the remote to the receiver.

You hold both buttons down on the warn remote for 3 seconds to turn it off and on. It has an indicator light on it, so you know if its on. I wanna say it turns itself off after 5-10 minutes of non use to save the battery.

Its rugged too.

#14 ·
I've look around and "I THINK" I found one that the receiver plugs into the plug I have in my glove box. Is that how yours works or is the receiver part of the winch itself? Thanks again for your help!

#15 ·
Gimme a few and I'll snap a pick of how it plugs into the system.

#16 ·
GaPioneer, here ya go.

It attaches inline to where your toggle connects to the wiring block of your winch. There is also a power and ground that need to be attached for the receiver.

Reactions: GaPioneer
#18 ·
Its amazing where you can fit that thing with its tiny wheelbase. hahaha

#19 ·
Great spot

Let's hear yours.

This where I mounted mine, out of the way and I can reach it without climbing in.

Attachments

#20 ·
I mounted my switch on the passengers side hand grab, its out of the way and didn't put any holes in my new toy, zip tied it on and used the handlebar mount that came with the winch. Champion 3500lb winch kit at Cabelas $99.00 wife applied for credit card and got $20 more off for a total of $79, the bracket cost $59 but it mounts well!

#23 ·
I am currently using the remote with the long cable doesnt Warn make a switch for dash mount or would it be best to just go get a marine grade spring to the center rocker switch.

#24 ·
I should be able to tap into the remote plug wiring and install a switch and still be able to utilize my remote when i need to be out of the pioneer to winch others out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.