Honda Pioneer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I did something stupid and messed up reverse. It will engage but it pops a few times before it does. I'm guessing the shift fork is damaged. My question is can someone give me advice and pointers on this repair? I'm very mechanically inclined and shouldn't have a problem, but would like to know what all is necessary to remove and what doesn't have to be? Also what all parts will I likely need to order? I do have a repair manual but its a bit overwhelming how it explains things. My dealer quoted $2,500 so I'm hoping I can do better than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Casey

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I did something stupid and messed up reverse. It will engage but it pops a few times before it does. I'm guessing the shift fork is damaged. My question is can someone give me advice and pointers on this repair? I'm very mechanically inclined and shouldn't have a problem, but would like to know what all is necessary to remove and what doesn't have to be? Also what all parts will I likely need to order? I do have a repair manual but its a bit overwhelming how it explains things. My dealer quoted $2,500 so I'm hoping I can do better than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Casey

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Did you end up doing the repair yourself? We have a 1000 that has the same symptoms and wondered what you found

·
Registered
2 Posts
$2500 to fix the sub transmission? Insane. The most typical failure on the Low/Reverse side is a bent Low/Reverse shift fork and subsequent damage to one or two other parts inside the Sub trans. You CANNOT accurately estimate these repairs "sight unseen". The dealer is giving a CYA, WORST CASE guess at the cost, thus scaring the crap out of you. I have done this repair on mine, which had the Low gear "Damaged" by a less than competent operator. It takes about an hour and a half to two hours or so to remove the sub trans and about another two or three hours to tear down, inspect, clean and replace the damaged parts. Then about the same time or less to install. Once you do this repair a few times, you can cut the times down considerably. These are the parts that would typically be affected, judging from your description of the failure and since the machine still drives once it goes into gear.. Unless you "explode and destroy" the entire gear set in the sub transmission, this should be all that is required. Some people choose to install TALON gears to Lower the revers gear ration, this is much more expensive, but gives a lower gear ratio.

GEAR, FINAL DRIVE LOW 23650-HL4-000 @ $128.65
GEAR, REVERSE DRIVE (27T) 23691-HL4-000 @ $87.92
SHIFTER, LOW REVERSE 23751-HL4-000 @ $63.91
FORK, SUB-GEARSHIFT (RR) 24215-HL4-000 @ $41.60

Add a couple of gaskets and seals, along with some oil and you are golden. While most people probably replace the gaskets and seals, it is possible to reuse the gaskets and seals if one is careful during disassembly to not damage the old gaskets. Since I do all my own engine and transmission work, I reused my old gaskets and seal, no leaks on my machine.

So a more realistic "Estimate" would be:

$400 or less for tor the parts and materials (those are "Retail" prices above, many sellers will beat retail pricing)
$700 Labor ( figureing 7 hours labor @ $100 per hour)

Therefore, about $1100 for the repair that I have described above. This IS NOT a "difficult" job, if you have the tools, mechanical ability and the shop manual. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts