Honda Pioneer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
long time listener, first time caller. Picking up a Red 1000-5 on Tuesday. It was supposed to be the Dark Silver but it was taking too long so I am taking red.

I am wondering if any of you 700 or 1000 owners have any experience with the various track systems. From what I can find the Camoplast Tatou system seems to be highly rated for deep snow use.
What I need to find out is if you guys had to cut your frames to use these. I am trying to avoid this at all costs. That leads me to the Mattracks EZ UTV tracks. It seems mattracks isn't rated as highly, but it seems to have better clearance for wheel wells and frame.
Anyone have any insight on this?

Anyone else planning on putting tracks on the 1000?

I am keen to get the family out asap for some backcountry fun, skiing, and snowboarding in the Coast mtns of BC

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I have one seasons use on the Mattracks EZTracks on my P700-2. Clearance is not an issue. My neighbors run the EZ Tracks on Kobota and Polaris Rangers with good results too. As far as deep snow goes I did not get the chance really test it out. There are plenty of Camoplast users in my area too especially on the John Deere machines. I purchased mine based on how everybody seemed to like them. Pricing between Brands is close so I went with "Made In Minnesota".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hard water!
That is exactly what I wanted hear. No clearance issues on EZ UTV track set up so that looks like what I will go with. I am reading about people having to cut frames on the pioneer to fit the camoplast set up in.
With the EZ UTV Tracks from Mattracks:
Does track go around that tight curve easily?
Do you think it robs the machine of power with this design?
What about the weight of the tracks? Do you notice it feeling heavy? They are almost twice the weight of the camoplast set up

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Mattracks EZTracks

The tracks reduce top speed by about half and because of this gearing you will have no loss of power. They weigh more than tires and wheels but the lower gearing again gives you plenty of power. You have EPS standard and I installed SuperATV power steering so no problem there. The only problem with tracks is slush freezing up on the UTV and tracks, my Pioneer 700-2 gets to always get parked in "floor-heated" garage so it melts off fast. Be careful not to over torque the lugs on the tracks. Have fun they turn the Pioneer into a Billy Goat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It really works nice for hauling all the stuff. The insulated pop up blinds work real nice for ice fishing on Lake Winnipeg. Also works great for pulling the slide house and spear house around back close to home.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Anyone know how much height the tracks add? Looking at getting a set but want to make sure I can still get in the garage..

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
The spec sheet says from the center of the hub to the floor will be raised to 17.5" from your current measured height with wheels and tires. I have a garage door which measures 10' wide by 8' high and I make it in just fine with a Honda Full Hard Cab installed.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
The spec sheet says from the center of the hub to the floor will be raised to 17.5" from your current measured height with wheels and tires. I have a garage door which measures 10' wide by 8' high and I make it in just fine with a Honda Full Hard Cab installed.
Thanks, its not going to fit in mine as far as I can tell, the least I have seen is adding 4". I will have to build a temporary shelter on the side for the winter. Hope the tracks don't freeze up.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
No deep snow here in west central Minnesota to test in but after talking with other track users that is usually not a problem. The only time you really need to be careful is trying to run into cattails on the edges of sloughs. You can fall into the bottom then you will need help digging out or getting pulled. Snowmobiles are not immune to this either. This has happened a couple of times coyote hunting but then we have other tracked machines along helping out. Overall the tracks are awesome. You can make a mountain plowing snow. Its fun.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Just a reminder I have P700-2. My wish list includes a P1000-3. Planning on purchasing fall of 2016, when after market full cab enclosures catch up to the P1000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided on going with the Camoplast (now Camso) set up in the end. It should arrive this week. All we have in the Coast mountains of BC is deep snow so I will let you k now how it does. The Ez Tracks ended up being a lot more expensive once the Exchange rate USD to Canadian was factored in.
I am now just trying to find a plow set up that will work with the tracks on..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Check KFI products think they have an extended push tube package for tracks. Really pleased with the build quality of KFI gear I have in my sig. They also make a 72" wide blade iirc for larger UTVs. I'm surprised at how much snow my little P5 will move with my KFI set up.

jrc

·
Registered
160 Posts
I will second the kfi plow with the tracks. That is what my dealer sells. I know on the 700 that the camoplast tracks would hit the frame in the rear and it needed to be trimmed just a little bit. Something to be aware of

1 - 20 of 23 Posts