Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Honda Foreman that's been great, and have been reading lots of posts here on the P1K. I'm looking for something that can provide comfort for 4 people. I really like the 5 passenger capacity, short wheelbase, and geared transmission of the Pioneer.

I ride mainly Arizona desert trails, and therefore, suspension is important, along with reasonable power. Have any of you switched from RZRs or comparable vehicles to the P1k5?
Wondering how these compare for trail riding. I occasionally like to travel up to 40 MPH, and would like some feedback on if the Pioneer suspension can handle this or not. (Obviously the long travel RZRs do great in this environment, which explains why you see so many of them.)

The other issue is heat. I've seen several insulation and fan solutions that claim to cure the problem, but will the Pioneer really be cool enough to ride comfortably desert?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

· Registered
33 Posts
Rode the wooded trails with Mavericks, Wildcats, and RZRs this past weekend. Hands down they kicked our ass both in top end and suspension, but we held our own in the fun department. However, I wouldn't do it again. They're just too much in the whoops and turns for us. 10" travel compared to 20"...no contest. Plus the rear seating is more for kids or short rides. Not an all day group ride thing.

With that said, I wouldn't buy a RZR on a dare now with all the recalls, fires, and deaths in those things. Polaris is high performance junk IMO. I'd stick with Wildcats and Mavericks. The Maverick was really pretty sweet machine. First I'd really been around them much.

Suspension wise, I've read the YXZ1000 is the best of the bunch, but gets it's butt kicked on drag races right now with no turbo option. For trails it might be my choice, but for dunes, I'd say one of the others.

just my $.02...

· Registered
4 Posts
Bought one yet? I myself will never buy another Polaris. I bought 2013 Polaris Crew Diesel new and sold it in 2016, due to having so many problems with the clutch/shifter, back right axle, over heating, ect... My buddy had a 2013 Wildcat 1000. He had a few problems with it but I remember him having lot of problems with the belt on it. Now he has Polaris RZR and to my knowledge he hasn't had problems with it.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have an older Honda Foreman that's been great, and have been reading lots of posts here on the P1K. I'm looking for something that can provide comfort for 4 people. I really like the 5 passenger capacity, short wheelbase, and geared transmission of the Pioneer.

I ride mainly Arizona desert trails, and therefore, suspension is important, along with reasonable power. Have any of you switched from RZRs or comparable vehicles to the P1k5?
Wondering how these compare for trail riding. I occasionally like to travel up to 40 MPH, and would like some feedback on if the Pioneer suspension can handle this or not. (Obviously the long travel RZRs do great in this environment, which explains why you see so many of them.)

The other issue is heat. I've seen several insulation and fan solutions that claim to cure the problem, but will the rzr xp1000 accessories really be cool enough to ride comfortably desert?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Please help me out… I am torn between an RZR and the Honda Pioneer 700-4. They are both around the same price . The RZR is around 2000 more.

I like the Honda because you could fit 4 people on it and it seems like a multi-use UTV

Concerns:
Could it handle rocky uneven paths and steep hills?
I like the look of it, but it just doesn’t seem too fun to drive it feels more like a 4 x 4 truck then a ATV.

I like the RZR because it looks like a lot of fun, but I am not sure if it will be able to do some work with it at times.

Concerns:
Could I hook a snow plow up to it? I’m sure I could but is it not geared for it and would I risk damaging it.
Is it durable? I have always had utility quads and they could take a beaten and keep going. I never had a racing quad always utility. Do they break down more and need extra care?

Thank you

· Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-3
666 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa.
You need to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges.
The Polaris razor is a sport side by side and the Honda Pioneer 700 is a UTV (Utility Vehicle).
Google "Polaris Razor or Honda Talon"
That might be a good comparison.
Now, with that being said, the Honda Pioneer 1000 is a hell of a good all around side x side.
13 gears (6 low, 6 high, 1 reverse)
All answers to your questions about the 700 are YES with the 1000.
Read my introduction below.
Have a good day

1 - 5 of 5 Posts