Honda Pioneer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me get this straight. The Big Red has rear differential and when you put it in "4wd Diff Lock" it locks both the front and rear?

The Pioneer has full time positive rear. So 4wd Diff Lock position only locks front.

Is this a cut cost thing?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
On the BR 2x4 was a split rear end, it helped with a tighter turning radius since both wheels wasn't pushing you forward (when turning one wheel has to travel farther than the other). When you put it in 4x4 the rear end locked but the front was still split. When you put it in 4x4 lock then all them was locked and you had a true 4x4.

The Pioneer the rear end is locked all the time. 4x4 just activates the front end and 4x4 lock makes it a true 4x4.

It is cheaper and in the long run less maintenance items (loosing the cable and locking mechanism). They also went to a single driveline brake in the rear over the brakes out at each wheel on the BR. Again, more cost savings. If you did landscaping or a lot of yard work the BR rear drive is better since it is less likely to tear up the lawn. Out on the trail the Pioneer rear end is better since both wheels will be powering you down the trail. If you turn short and got after the BR you would be spinning one wheel, the Pioneer gets you going with minimum wheel slip...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Cheaper and less maintenance? Why didn't they just do that with the Big Red in the first place? Maybe cause they knew they would have to build a better machine later and they wanted to save some cards to play later?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
So if the pioneers rear end is locked full-time, its gonna cut up the yard when you turn sharp?

·
Registered
903 Posts
So if the pioneers rear end is locked full-time, its gonna cut up the yard when you turn sharp?
Yes...just like a quad would. How much depends on the tire, throttle, moisture and how sharp you turn...etc.

Unless your one of those suburbanites that sits at your bay window smiling because you beat your neighbor in the un-official "best lawn" contest, i doubt you will care that much.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes sense with less maintenance and more affordable. Wonder if it helped shave some weight too?

For what I'm using it for the locked rear is not going to be an issue.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Yes...just like a quad would. How much depends on the tire, throttle, moisture and how sharp you turn...etc.

Unless your one of those suburbanites that sits at your bay window smiling because you beat your neighbor in the un-official "best lawn" contest, i doubt you will care that much.
I live out in the country on 4 1/2 acres. But its mine and i gotta take care of it. Plus i aint really worried about my yard, it is something to think about when turning on concrete though.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I live out in the country on 4 1/2 acres. But its mine and i gotta take care of it. Plus i aint really worried about my yard, it is something to think about when turning on concrete though.
Just leaves black copies of you tread on the crete. And wears the tires more than an open diff would. Doubt you'll ever notice unless you constantly drive in circles.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Turn circles out in the garden this spring and you won't have to fire up the rototiller :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts