Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought Pioneer in January. 36 total hours. Had 30 hours on it when I bought it (demonstrator).

Won't start. Turns over but will not fire? Called dealer and mechanic said they have had some issues with spark plug fouling? This does't make sense, especially with such low hours? Will have dealer come and pickup and diagnose.

Anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I have had a few of them fouling plugs in the cold weather, mostly happens during start up. If your having a lot of problems with it I would install an iridium plug, they seem to do better but are a lot higher in price ($17 vs $3).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pioneer still won't start.

Talked to dealer. They suspect fouled plug and sold me $17.00 one to put in. Thought this was going to be an easy project. Still trying to take shroud off over the engine to get to plug. Called dealer again......said I need an impact tool to remove phillips screws? Getting frustrated, close to renting a trailer and taking back to dealer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
if the screwdriver starts to slip you can take just a dab of valve grinding compound which you can get at your auto parts store and put on the end of your screwdriver and it will do wonders to keep from rounding the screw out

Reactions: rich450es

·
Registered
96 Posts
On my P 2 all i have to do is lift up the box for easier access pull off the plug wire blow around the plug with the air compessor to clean any stuff that could get into the motor then remove the plug and install a new one. Unless the P 4 has no room to do that.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
On the 4P you might as well take the plastic off first, you just end up taking it off anyway. Its not a bad job with the plastic off and doesn't take that long.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kind of late to the party, and I'm sure you checked, but mine would turn over and not start yesterday. I figured out that, although the gear shifter was in the neutral detent, the tranny was not indicating N, D, or R. Recycled the handle and fired right up. Guess it won't fire unless it's in a gear position, provided you hold the brake if it's not in neutral. Boneheaded move for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally

Finally got shroud over engine off tonight, replaced plug with upgrade. Starts!

Had to buy an impact tool to loosen metal Phillips bolts and use an 8" #3 screwdriver with rubber gloves for more torque to remove. Guy at factory must have been on steroids when he tightened these.

Plug was worst I have ever seen. Dealer used this Pioneer as a demonstrator for 30 hours. Moving in and out each day and customer test rides (without warming engine caused this I believe).

·
Registered
355 Posts
Cool at least it was a plug could have been worse

1 - 10 of 10 Posts