Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was interesting to me, a couple of guys traded their 800s for the pioneer. I could see being new to the market, picking a pioneer over the 800 but to trade it in makes me wonder if the 800 really has faults or they just needed a 4 seater or just like having new stuff and can afford it. I am a honda guy, owned a polaris sportsman back in the day and had trouble with it so researched to find the most basic and reliable atv made, it was a honda rancher and 10 yrs later still trouble free. As i look for a utv, ive tried many and like the 400 ranger for its simplicity but the 800 really got my attention given the very comfortable cab, cushy seat, easy cab access and superior ride quality. I was very i pressed with this bike despite having my mind set on the pioneer. Now, the truth is, i am being influenced by the price. If pricing was equal, i would likely go with the pioneer to be safe despite the fact that i like a few things better about the 800 just due to perceived reliability of the honda. However, pricing on the honda is pretty firm at 10.6 otd, including tax of 600$. Essentially getting it for msrp with not extra fees. This is a very fair price but...the 800 has a rebate of 1300$ and discounting that will put me at 9000$ otd, so as u can see, the honda is 1600 more so im struggling with it. I did toss a firm offer out to my dealer of 10k otd vs 10.6 but he said no.

Anyway, i am very tempted by the polaris, i could even get the extended warranty for 800$ and 5 yrs and still be 800 to the good but dont want to regret my decision if the polaris proves problematic bc even if under warranty, there is a hassle factor

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Sounds like you are really struggling to decide.

I find the Pioneer seat way more comfortable than the Polaris but that could be just because I have had back surgery and need the lumbar support. I find the Polaris I feel like I am sitting on the ground and can't bend my knees. I am sure you will find what is right for you.

Is this the one you are looking at?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've been researching Rangers as of late. The 800 is famous for it's heat issues. If your looking at a midsize, i'd easily chose the 570...but sounds like you want the full size.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I shopped around looking at all the major sxs's. The Viking was by far the worse and the Pioneer was the best for MY needs. The polaris dealer was the one that educated me the most and was by far the most knowledgeable.

I am 5'8 175lbs so for me the cab is great. The 2 jump seats are exactly what i needed for my kids.

The other factor that came into play was having a couple friends with Polaris Rangers or RZR's who all told me that they have issues all the time. After seeing my pioneer my Ranger buddies would all change but my RZR buddies would not.

As for the difference in price consider the difference a tranquility warranty. Even with the extended warranty when something goes wrong it just means that you will not pay for the problem in dollars. However, you will pay for it in time because your machine will be sitting at the dealer instead of being with you.

I work way too much and on Saturday morning I want to be driving my Pioneer not calling the dealer to ask if my Ranger is fixed yet?

·
Registered
186 Posts
There are some good machines out there but all have belts. The automatic on the Honda is like the engine, which lasts forever with no problems. This was a big deciding factor for me.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
If they are discounting the Polaris that much it must be affecting the resale and trade in value of them also. Not sure if it is a factor for you what it will be worth in a couple years.

The worse thing would be walking home thinking "dam I could have had a Honda"!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dick, no, that pic is not what im looking at, it looks like the pioneer, utility. My saleman is still trying to put a deal together for me, i gave him my word up to a dollar limit but if it doesnt pan out, im not sure what i,ll do but im going to pull the trigger on something

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you drive reasonably, you won't have trouble with the belt driven bikes. The 800 has double the power, and performs better in mud, sand, rough terrain, etc. However, the Pioneer is older technology that has been proven reliable.

·
Registered
206 Posts
if you drive reasonably, you won't have trouble with the belt driven bikes. The 800 has double the power, and performs better in mud, sand, rough terrain, etc. However, the Pioneer is older technology that has been proven reliable.
By "reasonably" you mean do not get it wet or put a load on it, right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
the ranger 800 is a great machine. the 800 is a proven reliable motor, but they have heat issues. I had an 800 that ran great it never over heated, what I mean about heat issues if your ride extended periods of time at low speeds at warm to hot temps outside you will over time melt the passenger side bottom part of the seat or at least have an extremely uncomfortable ride on the passenger side due to heat.
if I were going to buy a ranger today it would be a ranger 570 or the full sized 900. the motors are under the bed, so no heat issues. the motor and tranny are bolted solid together and belt issues driven with common sense are a thing of the past. on the belt vs mech tranny I look at it this way. I can carry a spare belt and if by some strange chance my belt were to break I can change it on the trail. no problem, if the mech tranny fails its going to be an expensive fix. I've logged over 6000 miles on rangers and way more than that on sportsmans with no belt failures. but I don't mud run, know when to use low range and keep my machines relatively stock. my neighbor has a 2011 ranger diesel right now with 16,000 miles on the original belt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
By "reasonably" you mean do not get it wet or put a load on it, right?
Good one! are u referring to the dealer telling me my Pioneer isn't under warranty if its been in water or sand, or is that a jab at polaris?

True story!!! I almost had an aneurysm!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good one! are u referring to the dealer telling me my Pioneer isn't under warranty if its been in water or sand, or is that a jab at polaris?

True story!!! I almost had an aneurysm!!!
That's a CYA thing that they will all say. I was just referring to the friends of mine that have sat on the side of the trail waiting for their smoking, wet, belts to dry out. And ya it was a jab at Polaris.:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
rangers and rzr's aren't submarines. snorkel kits have an intended purpose. if your friends got their belts wet they were using them for a purpose they were never intended for and if their belts were smoking that's their own fault, not the machine. here's a ranger of mine going thru water that was about as deep as I felt comfortable going thru without a snorkel. I'd say well over 2ft.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Polaris vs Honda

maybe I can help a little I own a 2014 Polaris RZR 800S LE and a 2014 Honda Pioneer, My best friend rides a 2013 Polaris Ranger 800 LE we constantly work and trail ride our machines side by side. Any is a good choice, when we work them we work them hard hauling wood, water barrels, pulling trees in the right direction when cutting with a chainsaw. When we ride its rough creek crossings, creek bank climbs, mud holes, tight technical trails, rocky hills. I will try to answer you and question from my experience with these machines, But Honest opinion Reliability thats why I own a Honda for my wife. For more fun Thats why I have the Polaris.

Reactions: somethingnuw

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do a quick Google search of Polaris 800 wiring harness issues there should be enough reading for days......

·
Registered
658 Posts
hey rd fish is that price 2 seater vs 2 seater?

·
Registered
104 Posts
on the belt vs mech tranny I look at it this way. I can carry a spare belt and if by some strange chance my belt were to break I can change it on the trail. no problem, if the mech tranny fails its going to be an expensive fix. .
Unless the other wearing/friction parts fail on the trail, Clutches, springs, sheaves etc. A "mech" transmission failure is pretty much unheard of. Would be more likely to have a tree fall on it I would think.

My kids go-cart has a belt. Its not something I would want on a 1,300lb ATV. Belts work, and were likely the easiest from an engineering standpoint when first developed, but still. For the amount of money they sell these things for, I expect better options.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts