Honda Pioneer Forum banner

rearview mirror

20K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  97 wins 
#1 ·
I found out, while plowing this week, that I need a rearview mirror (along with rear-facing lights).

Is there anything I need to look out for, when purchasing a rearview mirror (clearance issues)? I do want to put a gun/bow rack in the roof section, but I would hope they wouldn't conflict.

Any one mirror better (or worse) than another? I see them all over the price range ($20 - $100).

Thanks.

#2 ·
DB, I have a rearview out of a racecar now but I am putting the roof and mid panel on this week and wanted to replace it so I ordered these side mirrors from ebay for $48 a pair. They are suppose to be heavy duty OEM style and not interfere with any accessories. They won't be here until Tuesday so I have not seen them yet. (fast shipping)

Here is the link they have 6 left as of now.

Side View Mirror Set for Honda Pioneer UTV Heavy Duty Large Size | eBay

P.S. One thing I did notice with the center rearview I have been using is it was to high on the roll cage bar and I had to keep looking up. So if you get a center mirror make sure the arm is long enough to come down to a comfortable eye height.

#3 ·
I found out, while plowing this week, that I need a rearview mirror (along with rear-facing lights).

Is there anything I need to look out for, when purchasing a rearview mirror (clearance issues)? I do want to put a gun/bow rack in the roof section, but I would hope they wouldn't conflict.

Any one mirror better (or worse) than another? I see them all over the price range ($20 - $100).

Thanks.
This won't be for everyone because it isn't a bolt-on item, but I will show it anyway in case someone cares. Moreover, the picture isn't the best because it wasn't taken specifically to show the mirrors.

Furthermore, unless someone is now making them for a Honda it will require welding and fabricating brackets. It also may not be compatible with most windshields (in my application windshields only draw in dust so I don't use them).

So, as you can see in the picture, I used a multi-section full width mirror (I bought it on E Bay, and it was made for a Kawasaki Teryx) and then welded tabs to the roll bar for mounting. I also bolted two side mirrors on as well.

This type of mirror gives an excellent all around rear view, but then again it won't be for everyone.

Attachments

#6 ·
I alway thought those side mirrors were kind of stupid.

BUT I was just out in the sand dunes yesterday and had my helmet on and let me tell you those side mirrors would sure have been handy.

Trying to look around with the headrest and roll bars in the way of the helmet was kind of a pain in the neck, literally.

I now may think about getting some.

#7 ·
You need mirrors guys... maybe its just me being an old racer but I need to see behind me. If someone in front of me puts the brakes on the first thing I do is look in the mirror. Also the side mirrors are good for backing up.

These ones are slight convex which I think are best for wide angle and judging distance. They also fold in break away with the spring tensioned sockets so you can pull them in to avoid hitting branches and push back into proper alignment. Or you can just let the branches move them in for you. ;) Plus I think they look better with mirrors.

How will Duwop know when the cops are chasing him without mirrors. lol

#8 ·
I am using a Kolpin mirror that works for me. I want to point out a tip for any mirror installation. The Honda roll bar is a little different diameter than most UTVs and getting the mirrors to maintain position can be a challenge. I found that using some 3M antislip tread stair tape wrapped on the roll bar first really helps keep a mirror in position without sliding on the bar.

Attachments

#9 ·
Honda OEM rearview mirror

I bought a $20 generic one to begin with and that sucker was terrible. It ended up breaking on this first weekend I had it. Then I went ahead and paid for the Honda one, and I'm glad I did. It is very very high quality. I highly recommend it. You wont be sorry. I think it was $89.

Reactions: Kyhunter
#10 ·
I have two side mirrors. My dealer "installed" those gems. They do very little to provide a good sight picture. BUT. They are rugged. I've clipped a few trees and branches with them. They take a beating and keep on reflecting.

I'd share their make or model, but inspection of them provides nothing of their origin.

I keep them on, for children safety.

#14 ·
Sure thing 5kirks. If they are the same ABS ones I think, they are tough as whale bone.

Ebay is using this global shipping program for international now and as far as I can tell probably won't get them until the end of the week.

Strange Honda only offers side view for the hard doors.

#12 ·
Cabelas bargin cave mirror

Cabelas has a convex rear view mirror for 14.99 in the bargin cave online. I ordered one for my Pioneer and mounted it on the ROPS in the side mirror position to see if I was better than the 4 1/2 in round mirrors I ordered from amazon made by Rugged Ridge. They will work great in that position, but I purchased it for mount in the rear view position and that is where it's mounted and I like it very much. I think for 45.00 this is a good option for mirrors covering all three positions. I am currently fabricating extensions for the Rugged Ridge mirrors I have as this will resolve the dislike I have for them.

Attachments

#17 ·
I used Honda Big Red accessory mirrors. $79.95. Part #08V04-HL1-200.
Thay clamp on the front of roll cage like the others. They would be better if they stuck out a little farther to see past the rear cage though, but made a big difference.

Moose, I believe that is what your dealer installed on your machine. They look just like mine.

#18 ·
I know this is an older thread but I'm a new P5 owner and really need a mirror. I wouldn't think of even riding my bicycle without a mirror (I like to see the idiots that are texting before they run me off the road). I sometimes use my UTV to haul brush with a trailer and really need to be able to get a glimpse of what's happening behind me now and then.

It wasn't until I purchased a center mirror for my P5 that I realized just how high and far back the overhead roll bar is located, making using a center mirror a pain in the neck (literally). That one is being returned.

I really like side view mirrors but my biggest concern is that most of my driving is through thick woods with narrow passes between trees. I'm thinking that the folding type might be my best bet and saw the Moose UTV folding mirrors on eBay:
Moose UTV Folding Side Mirrors | eBay

Any opinions on these or any other mirror related suggestions from those who drive through narrow passages would be greatly appreciated before I make another uninformed purchase.

#20 ·

@DEK this Moose mirror you picked out looks like it has the same type plastic swivel mount that my ebay ones had. My mounts broke but I made my own out of a steel bracket I had kicking around. The mirrors themselves are pretty tough and now just fold in when I hit a tree. The plastic mounts also vibrate a little that the metal mount doesn't. On the P4 the plastic mount didn't quite stick out far enough to see behind good and the mount I installed I can see perfect.

#21 ·
Mirrors

I agree with Qualt's choice, the "wink" multi panel is what I have chosen for my Pioneer that isn't here yet. I, like Dick, am an old recycled race car driver and really like the panoramic view they give, plus they are not so vulnerable to tree branches. Not so patiently waiting for delivery (since early August)............!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.