Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2016 1000-5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“Don’t join COPART!” Says my loving wife. “You don’t need another project!” …her follow up. Well thankfully for me, she’s not my project buying supervisor so I bought it anyway!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Did the “buy it now” on Copart for this 2016 1000-5 sight unseen at $6,700. We had been talking about a boat, or a UTV for her and the kid and dogs while I’m on my enduro cruising some trails. It popped up one night so we decided to get it in hopes the damage wasn’t too bad. The listing said “runs and drives” and I’m certain I escaped death from falling off the ramps getting onto a very tall trailer. The only thing holding the tire on was a weak lower arm and the axle.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system Metal

Once I got to the yard to actually load this and get it back I noticed the front left control arm was bent back into a crushed frame. The upper ball joint had sheared off and the brake lines for the front and rear driver side were pinched in 2. Someone got gnarly with this but it wasn’t so bad it couldn’t be saved.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

Wood Gas Metal Rope Auto part

I used a tie down strap and some chain to wench the front control arm knuckle out. Once I got it pulled back to the normal position, I made a plate that fit over the damaged area and cupped the frame and control arm together for strength. Ran a flame over the frame to push the crunched part up a little more flat to mate with the rear of the plate and welded it up. I had to buy a mig welder from HDepot. Never welded before so I ran a few passes over the patch metal spares to dial the welder in. I don’t think it turned out bad!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Rim Bicycle part

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Tread

Once I got this finished and went to put the axle back in, I found out the dang thing was bent and the bearings were dimpled! I’m all my excitement getting it welded back up I didn’t think about inspecting the other parts. So a full week later after ordering a new axle… I can’t find the M12 castle nut for the lower ball joint! Hoping on my way home today I can grab a nut and finally drive this beast!
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Automotive tire

Now, which one of you dirtbags on here is the one who crashed Nanna and pop pop’s side by side… lol

I saved the good stuff from the bad axle to forge a knife or axe to leave in the sxs!
Automotive tire Nickel Household hardware Rim Engineering

Attachments

· Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000
591 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa
I guess the tree just didn't get out of the way fast enough. haha
Nice looking repair work.
I kept looking for a picture of the rim, to see if it was bent.
Did they really do that much damage and not bend the rim? dang!
Have a good day

· Registered
2016 1000-5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear tire was off the bead when I bought it. I shifted into 4 and crawled up the trailer ramps! When I got it home, sprayed some brake clean into the tire, hit it with my map gas torch and popped it right back on. Front rim looks fine but then again I thought the axle looked fine too! Lol We will see once I find this DAMN CASTLE NUT I LOST IN THE SNOW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts