Honda Pioneer Forum banner

Shifting on the Fly

11K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  chukardog 
#1 ·
I noticed in one of the videos that someone was shifting from 4wd to 2wd on the fly. I know it says in the manual to stop before changing to 4wd so I assumed nothing was meshed but it really shouldn't hurt anything to take it out on the fly but I have never tried it.

Does anyone here shift on the fly?

#2 ·
I've been curiuos about that myself. I was just brave enough to try it at very slow speeds. I shifted both from Diff lock down to 4 wheel while moving and on another occasion from 4 wheel down to 2 wheel while moving without incident. It felt very natural and slight throttle manipulation to unload components made the transition comfortable enough that unless someone can explain technically why it shouldn't be done, I may continue to do it. Keep in mind that I am NOT going from 2 wheel to 4 wheel or from 4 wheel to diff lock which requires the alignment and engaging of components as apposed to simply dissengaging components. I don't claim to be an expert, Just saying.

#5 ·
I'd still stop before doing it

Less risks.

Changing while moving does work. Sometimes if you are turning sharply and you switch modes you will notice kind of a chug from the engagement.

Cars are like this too. They just put the warning out there because there is a chance that you could break or wear out the diff.

#6 ·
Now that we have put many hrs. and miles on our machines. Has anyone been doing a lot of shifting on the fly? From 2wd to 4wd, I know your not supposed to if your wheels are spinning. My old Rhino I shifted on the fly all time. Don't want tear any thing up, as I love my Pioneer.

#9 ·
I have been doing it for 2 years with no issues but only when its basically coasting. If I was Honda I would tell everyone to stop too, to protect from someone spinning the back tires and trying to put it in 4wd at the same time.

#10 ·
I do shift from 2 - 4 wheel all the time (10 plus years on Rancher type Hondas with no issues), but never under load, so driving/coasting and switching prior to anticipating where it will be needed. Likewise, I will switch back from 4 to 2 wd the same way under no load. As others have commented, I wouldn't do it while spinning the wheels, etc.,

#12 ·
I've continued to do it since the machine was new without any issues (coming up on two years).

I only do it under no load while rolling straight ahead (almost like coasting right after slight deceleration). It's kind of a timing thing.

I'm very comfortable doing it but wouldn't recommend it to someone that isn't. If your personal preference is to air on the side of caution, then so be it. I just turned 2,000 miles and all is well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.