Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any other manufacturers such as polaris or yamaha whose shocks will fit the pioneer? As there isn't a lot of option for shocks for the pioneer yet wasn't sure if there is anything else out there tht will indeed fit and work for it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone know of any other manufacturers such as polaris or yamaha whose shocks will fit the pioneer? As there isn't a lot of option for shocks for the pioneer yet wasn't sure if there is anything else out there tht will indeed fit and work for it
From the research I've done I believe the Polaris Rzr 570 and 800 non S, should work they only have 1.1 more inches of travel and they have a progressive spring style, with better valving. Not positive on this yet still have to get some bought to see if they make a difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I def dont think more travel would hurt anything, in fact make it some better, something to get a little better ride out of where they don't feel like they are bottoming out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
polaris shocks

I'm going for more travel and a better ride, Polaris shocks have the very limited adjustability just like the rear of the Pioneer. My wife is running 27" tires already so that has helped but if I was to take the Polaris shocks and put them on front, crank the rear and front all the way up, I will get my clearance fixed. The longer shock shaft with more travel will keep the stupid tires from pulling off the ground at every little tree branch on the trails you haft to cross, It will be able to stuff the tire more and droop the tire more I.E. causing more positive flex keeping tires on the ground where they belong. The progressive springs will give that cadillac ride just moving along, and the mid section of the spring will hold its own under compression.

I have not switched my shocks yet but is going to be very soon, Ill document and test to see if it was worth it, I'll do a complete write up about it with testing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm going for more travel and a better ride, Polaris shocks have the very limited adjustability just like the rear of the Pioneer. My wife is running 27" tires already so that has helped but if I was to take the Polaris shocks and put them on front, crank the rear and front all the way up, I will get my clearance fixed. The longer shock shaft with more travel will keep the stupid tires from pulling off the ground at every little tree branch on the trails you haft to cross, It will be able to stuff the tire more and droop the tire more I.E. causing more positive flex keeping tires on the ground where they belong. The progressive springs will give that cadillac ride just moving along, and the mid section of the spring will hold its own under compression.

I have not switched my shocks yet but is going to be very soon, Ill document and test to see if it was worth it, I'll do a complete write up about it with testing.
That is awesome, looking forward to the results.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i just got off the phone with a guy from Bandit UTV suspension.

my buddy has bandit shocks on his rzr, and they are amazing. and at a price tag of $839 for remote reservoir shocks i was blown away.

they don't make anything for the pioneer, only for the RZR and now the Rhino. but I'm gonan take some measurements for him and we are gonna see if he can make something work for the Pioneer. ill keep everyone updated.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Here is the problem see with switching shocks from a rzr. The pioneer weighs in almost a 1/3 more in weight vs. the rzr. I know I have both. Stock rzr springs sag very quickly. I have put fox 2.0 shocks with heavy rate eibach springs on my 570 rzr and they are great. When I get my pioneer back up north I am going to measure the shocks and if they are anywhere close I am going to order 2 of the fox 2.0 with heavy springs from Carls cycle sales and give them a try on the front.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is the problem see with switching shocks from a rzr. The pioneer weighs in almost a 1/3 more in weight vs. the rzr. I know I have both. Stock rzr springs sag very quickly. I have put fox 2.0 shocks with heavy rate eibach springs on my 570 rzr and they are great. When I get my pioneer back up north I am going to measure the shocks and if they are anywhere close I am going to order 2 of the fox 2.0 with heavy springs from Carls cycle sales and give them a try on the front.
I agree Polaris springs do start to sag rather quickly, which is why I will put a spacer in the first round then order more custom springs the second time around, I understand that the Pioneer is heavier than the Rzr. I bought the shocks today and will be putting them on for our next ride in 2 weeks. At this time anything is better than how the Pioneer rides now. I'm spoiled though my Rzr S rides amazing so I guess I'm comparing the pioneer to it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I will be looking forward to your test. This is the only thing I am unhappy with is the ride.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Curb weight

So just looked at curb weights of the Pioneer and Polaris Rzr 800

Pioneer 1396 lbs

Polaris Rzr 1041 lbs

Difference of 355lbs between the machines

Payload

Pioneer 1000 lbs

Rzr 740lbs

a difference of 260lbs

what I figure is most of the payload capacity rating is for the rear shocks I would say 2/3 of payload will be stressed for the rear shocks on both units
So If I take the rear shocks from a polaris Rzr I will be right back to where the Pioneer front shocks are rated for easily plus I gain adjustablility for pre load in the springs. also can adjust the preload on the rear shocks on the Pioneer and gain close to 1/2" inch more of ground clearance plus using the rear shocks on the front I will gain close to 1.6" inches of wheel travel which is a good bit of difference in stuff and droop when traversing rocky terrain and more possibilities of keeping the rubber planted to the earth where it belongs. And overall ride quality should improve with the progressive style springs. This will make the wife and kids happy and that's all that matters. I'm trying to be cheap on this one so if it dosn't work I'm not out of much and for what I payed for the shocks I can re sale them for triple my money. If it pays off it will be the cheapest mod for me yet in turn Happy Happy Happy wife.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just my 2 cents here, I had a set of factory shocks from my Can Am Commander that I installed just on the front of the pioneer and it rides much better. They measure about 2 1/2" longer than the pioneers so I gained about that in clearance. The A-arms were maxed out when I installed them but I've been about as rough as u can be on it with 27" silverbacks & haven't had the first issue. Been on probly 5 hard rides.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just my 2 cents here, I had a set of factory shocks from my Can Am Commander that I installed just on the front of the pioneer and it rides much better. They measure about 2 1/2" longer than the pioneers so I gained about that in clearance. The A-arms were maxed out when I installed them but I've been about as rough as u can be on it with 27" silverbacks & haven't had the first issue. Been on probly 5 hard rides.
How about a picture of this setup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The shocks are off a 2011, 1000XT. But they should all be the same. There's not enough weight difference in there 800 & 1000 to make a change.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts