Honda Pioneer Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use Honda full synthetic and it made a huge difference. Shifts better, and no more valve chatter. I am thinking maybe the outside temperature has something to do with the first to second gear problem. Because I adjusted the clutch late summer when the temps were in the 90s. I didn't have a problem shifting until hunting this fall when the temp dropped to the 40s to 50s. I am going to adjust it tomorrow cold and see if it shifts correctly. If it does a winter and summer clutch adjustment might solve the problem... Can't hurt to try!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Didn't think Honda made a full synthetic ATV/Utv oil?

jrc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thought I would share a method I learned to shift the smoothest... I've tried letting off the gas when shifting but still get that bang/clunk. But now I've learned that when going into the next gear, if you keep some power on or even add a little, pull the paddle and keep it pulled toward you until the shift is complete, then release the paddle. This way the throttle retard function stays retarded until the shift is complete. It seems Honda did the throttle retard perfect for this tranny and it's hard to get the same effect by letting off the gas. For me, flipping the paddle quicker always results in a bang/clunk on my 500. On my test ride, the hyper impatient salesman at the dealership would flip the paddle very quick like it was a playing card and bang every gear, drove me nuts, he was trying to show off how easy & quick flipping the paddle was but it seemed he was abusing the tranny this way. He also shifted with lots of power on. I put a down payment on the machine and they promised me no one would ever drive it again, what a relief. Sometimes my 500 won't shift out of Low or 1st gear, makes me wonder if that salesman did some damage? Usually it happens at the start of my ride but works fine after it's warmed all the way up, but once in a while it happens later in the ride at full operating temps and it makes me nervous that I might have to drive back to base at 4-6 mph in low gear. I've talked to Honda direct and they don't know why its doing that. If it keeps happening I'll have to take it to the dealer to sort it out. In the meantime at least I'm shifting smooth unlike the constant banging the salesman did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried this tip yesterday and it worked perfectly! Thank you Arizona Sunset Rider!
I'm glad it worked for you, but in reality, it should shift smoothly without doing that. That essentially takes away the automatic part of the transmission. We shouldn't have to baby sit a clunky shutting transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I hear you. Many mechanical things have their quirks. Since it doesn't have a clutch like a motorcycle does, I'll be happy to put up with holding the paddle a little longer till it shifts rather that just clicking it quickly and getting the clunk. It doesn't take much extra time to hold the paddle a little longer till the shift completes. It's an effective method that corrects that annoying clunk.

I'm glad it worked for you, but in reality, it should shift smoothly without doing that. That essentially takes away the automatic part of the transmission. We shouldn't have to baby sit a clunky shutting transmission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Heads up for Honda........ Build the Pioneer with the Rubicon Tranny, and you'll have a big winner.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts