Honda Pioneer Forum banner

Stock tires: traction

9K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Moose 
#1 ·
What's everybodys thoughts on the level of traction the stock tires give?

As many of you know, I replaced my stock tires on the Pioneer, but that was before the first snow here. I have since took those tires and replaced the worn tires on my King Quad. Taking it out to plow around 4 inches of snow last night, I felt like I was losing traction over the worn Dunlaps I replaced.

The 4 plys felt sloppy in the front too when I was reversing with the plow up, which sure, to be expected over a 6 ply.

My driveway is a sand/dirt/small rock path really. So there isn't a lot better traction under the snow when pushing with the plow.

#4 ·
I think this is one of those rare occasions where you both say something completely different, but are 100% correct. Good tire for anyone that doesn't see 6 months of rock hard frost in the ground.

The rubber is rock hard on the tires at room temperature. It was probably closer to diamond last night in the 13 below.

Siping. I hadn't even considered it. Before I see how far I can discus them, I might give that a shot

#8 ·
Yes, or in this case, a lack there of.
Okay...i thought you were talking about general traction.

The dusting of snow in the pics i posted elsewhere is honestly the 1st time I've ridden in snow in years. Again, they seemed to do fine. Never needed 4wd. But, i can't say I've ridden what would supposedly be a great snow tire either, like and ITP Holeshot.

Just a thought...but i wonder if this fairly aggressive tread might do better if flipped around to scoop the snow, rather than plow it out of its own footprint.

#6 ·
Yes, or in this case, a lack there of.

#10 ·
These are my thoughts on stock tires, I've never met a stock tire I liked. I really wish you could just order the dang thing without wheels and tires OR with the option to choose which tires you want (if ordering) when delivered. I did notice that the stockers are quite hard and will probably wear well, I like Bighorn's and always have. If I had my way I would order them on every ATV/UTV I own.

#14 ·
Ya, I run 3 in back and 4 in front. I also do a 100lb weight in back along with my mooseness

#15 ·
I decided to customize the stock tire a little bit by adding some surface area and flex to the tread pattern. It only took about 10min per tire.

Dremel Sawmax with multi purpose blade set at 1/4" depth.

#16 ·
Just want to say Thanks, as I've said this a new ball game to me. I rode dirt bikes as a teen and street bikes as adult and have no real comparisons. Your experience shared is helping us newbies learn and understand what to expect and demand from our new rides. Membership- free, education- priceless THANKS

Reactions: Moose
#18 ·
The treads on the stock tire are super stiff in my opinion. They have very little flex to them, which on a slippery or hard packed surface causes them to slip freely. Cutting these grooves into the tread helps give a little flex to it. That flex allows it to better conform to the surface, that little bit can catch hold. It also gives the tire a little more surface area, which is good in mud, snow, and wet conditions. It's called siping. You can google it and will come up with a lot of info on it. Toodeep with his calm collected demeanor, reminded me of the process as I was ranting about the aforementioned lack of plow traction.

I remember helping my dad do this same thing to the old Case tractor we used to plow our lane in the winter. He used a grinder though.:D

#22 ·
Yes, I used a Dremel Sawmax. It's like a tiny circular saw. It's handy to have, cuts metal, tile, and tires I guess. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.