Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2016 Pioneer 700-4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 700-4 only has 550 miles and is new to me. I notice a shuddering feeling when taking off or going slow up hills. I don't know where to start looking for an issue or if this is a normal condition. If I had to take a guess based on past experiences with my Polaris machines I would think maybe a universal joint could be going bad but I have not had the time yet to investigate this thought. Hoping maybe others here might point me in the right direction. It does seem to be worse when the machine is cold but it is still there after a full warm up.

Any suggestions for a newbie on where to start?

Thanks, GaryL

· Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000
591 Posts
I have researched and read, and read and researched. If it is engine vibration shudder you are experiencing, it is normal. The explanation I kept finding is that the engine is unbalanced at a certain rpm, and not a damn thing you can do about it. One owner said his doesn't do it anymore and his reasoning is that he never lets it be at that rpm. You learn to either go faster or slower then that RPM problem area.
YouTube 700 engine vibration
If you think it could be something else, read through this thread for some things to look at.
Have a good day

· Registered
2016 Pioneer 700-4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark. That video does show a very similar condition I am experiencing. Once I get it moving, increase the RPMs it goes away and drives just fine. On take off and on slow downs it is rather concerning but I am not at all a leadfoot. Since this is a new to me machine I will be checking the belt and the U joints right after our hunting season is finished,

· Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000
591 Posts
You are welcome, anytime.
But, ..uhm...what belt are you talking about? Our Hondas are not driven by a belt. (y)
Make sure to check your fluid level, ACCORDING to the manual
..... if you need one, you can get a digital copy for FREE here
.....your engine oil check is on page 116

Font Parallel Rectangle Engineering Diagram

.....have read that the 700 likes to have the oil FULL, and maybe just a little over.
Have a good day

· Registered
2016 Pioneer 700-4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Mark, It should be evident at this point I know very little about this new to me machine. I took ownership the day before our deer season started and about all I have done to it was the basic oil and fluid checks before running my buddies back to our hunting properties. As soon as the season is over I will be doing a full maintenance as outlined in the manual for the 600 mile mark. As I mentioned in another post, the fact I can't get the machine into my garage is problematic at this point with the cold and snow out in the driveway. I typically go through all this stuff as soon as I buy any used machine just for peace of mind and to learn. This one caught me with my hunting pants on. I do have the owner's manual and I have the downloaded PDF service manual but for the 2014 model. My oil level is right where it should be but will soon be changed along with the oil filter, spark plug, air and fuel filters serviced and lots of other checks. I also need to repair a loose heat shield that rattles at certain RPMs.

· Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000
591 Posts
Heck, I understand. I've only had my 2018, 1000-3, a little over a year, and still learning.
At least you didn't do the "Why can I only do 15mph?" thing like I did. haha
I was like holy crap I must have bought a lemon, or I broke something already.
Pull out the manual and start reading, hoping for something simple.....and it was. haha (y)
Rectangle Font Magenta Circle Paper product

I'm with ya, I bought used, and when I got it home I checked EVERYTHING that I could check.
Good luck with the hunt.
I do not, but I let others hunt, ride, walk Our 40 Acres
Have a good day

· Registered
2016 Pioneer 700-4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Mark. I saw this somewhere here but darned if I can find it now. I bought all the stuff to do a service today, synthetic Mobil1-4T racing in 10W40, new plug CPR6EB-9 NGK but I could not find the WIX oil filter number to get. I also wonder of with just 560 miles should I swap the fuel filter if there is one and what other basic maintenance I should do while I have a shop to work in that the top fits under. I know there is a thread here somewhere but I sure can't locate it right now and have to return to the parts store to fetch other parts for my 4Runner tomorrow. I plan to spend the day on Friday wrenching on a few things preparing for the winter. The Honda dealer is a long ride from me. Thanks

GaryL

· Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000
591 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts