Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When i was a young'un, my grandpa would make me help him cut wood, and i hated it. I always wondered why he liked it so much...

As i got older and got a handle on the finer things in life, i too realized it was sort of a relaxing experience to go out and make sawdust.

Granddad had...well, a granddad of chainsaws, a Homelite super EZ.

Through sweat and back-breaking labor, he cut endless amounts of firewood to keep us warm with this saw. It has cut more firewood than i will ever see. Later in my childhood, his children got him a new model Homelite, but by then the brand had long passed their sell-by date, and he ended up giving it back to his son after several problems.

The old EZ was dusted off, and once again pressed into service. It is still in existence, but i left it back home when i moved to AZ, with instructions to never throw it away.
Thinking of what Homelite once was, it is sad to see what they are now.

Father time caught up to granddad..as it does to us all, and the wood cutting duties fell on me, and the time came to purchase my own saw. I knew the "big 2" were fairly interchangeable from a performance/durability standpoint, so i picked the closest dealer at them time, which was Sthil. This was before Lowes had Husky.

So i bought the Farm....Boss, that is!

It ran for 8 years without so much as a hiccup until i moved, at which time i left it with my uncle who now occupied the old homestead, with only wood heat. So far as i know, it's still going strong, and sits next to the old Homelite when not in use.

Of course, after i moved to the deserts of Phoenix for a few years, wouldn't you know that i would end up back in colder country, and a wood stove as back-up.
My current situation doesn't dictate that i spend $400 + on another Sthil, so i went looking for another saw, with lighter duty use and price in mind.

What i found was what seems to be a decent saw at a steal: A Poulan Pro ( don't forget the pro, now ) 5020AV.

Before you turn your nose up, be aware that Huskvarna owns Poulan, and most of the pieces of this saw have the Husky logo cast into them. It also has some Husky features ( like pulling intake air through the flywheel to remove dust ). At 50CC for $180, it is a bargain, and gets good reviews.
I have used it, and it performs well beyond its price tag. Durability is the only question, which i hope to answer over the next few years.

If i were spending $400 bucks, i'd be mighty tempted to try the Echo TimberWolf some Home depots are now carrying.

59CC and decompression release. Pretty nice.

This is mostly new stuff, but i know that a lot of people collect old saws. I probably would to, if i had the time and space. Chain saws, old or new, are just mysteriously cool!

·
Registered
658 Posts
dg man you give some very descriptive and informant threads. thumbs up on this one

Reactions: MudT

·
Registered
269 Posts
My first saw was a Husky Rancher (about 10yrs ago). I bought it because my FIL had one exactly like it......out of "respect", I guess. It's still running strong. Consequently, he's now running a Poulan.

I bought a Stihl Farm......BOSS a few years back, to have a back-up. It's a wonderful saw and sees more use than the rancher, now.

My next door neighbor (my neighbors "lots" around me are 25ac.; 25ac.; 17ac. and 10ac....on all sides of me) is a retired saw NINJA! He restores old saws (guru on old Homelites) down to restoring the original paint and decals. They're beautiful saws and work as good as they look (he heats with wood - only....and uses all of his saws). He probably owns 15.

Cool thread!

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I started cutting with a promac 700 and would still be using it if I didn't loose it in a fire. My wood cutting is not what it use to be (never home so the furnace is the main heat) so I replaced it with a lighter duty saw, 435 Husky.

The old 700 I had tuned to a T, 2 pulls and it was ready to cut wood. This new one needs a few tweaks but I haven't taken the time to do it yet. Going from a 70cc saw to a 40cc saw takes some getting use to also.. lol

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I don't know if you guys know this, but in have a passion for chainsaws. Well, I guess it is more than a passion as I depend upon them. Our only source of heat in our home is wood. When we moved in, there was an LP space heater and an electric heater that had been added onto the house as the owners aged and could no longer feed the basement wood burner. We now have our updated wood furnace and a fireplace that I added to generate all of our heat. Sure that means I can only be away or sleep for 5 hours at a time, but it's the direction I chose. The house that we call home was the first to settle this area back in the 1800's. Every parcel of land in the surrounding area was bought off from this one over the last 150+ years. The house itself is supported from wood cut and milled here to build it. The support beams are oak that has compressed so much over the years that it's almost impossible to drive a nail into it. Don't take that the wrong way. It's not the nicest house as the couple that lived here until we bought it were elderly and their children had no interest in keeping the home after they passed. When we got it, it was dilapidated to the point where most people just walked away from one of the best pieces of property I've seen, just because of the hassle that would of been this outdated and dying home. For the past 5 years I have rebuilt it and I think I could work the rest of my years and still not get ahead of the way I want it.

The land is what drew me. Some of the timber is old growth. While other parts were tailored to harvesting for sale of lumber and others were meant to be harvested to burn wood, populated with shagbark hickory and oak.

This is exactly the way my fathers farm was in Iowa. It was the oldest house, when I was 4 my parents bought it from an elderly woman who could no longer keep it up. My dad spent years remodeling and restoring it. We converted it back to wood and my dad added a fireplace. Funny how I didn't even realize how alike the two were until I typed this.

The first saw I ever ran was with my dad. My brothers and I split all of the rounds by hand as he ran the saw. Each of us had to succeed at a rite of passage before we could run that saw. A 1970 Stihl 030. It was such an awesome feeling running that saw. It was fear and a power trip all twisted together with some hysterical internal laughter and the urge to make your own engine sounds despite the really loud engine.

When we bought this property. My MS 390 was the first thing I bought. Upgraded it to a 25" bar and started the next generation of woodcutting. A couple years ago, I went to the implement store to pick up a new tank breather for it and there on the shelf was a MS 660 Magnum. That 92cc motor.... Boy, I just could not pass up bringing it home and mating it up to a 32" bar. I could not be happier that I did. It has halved my cutting time on big stuff. I still love my 390 too. The truth of the matter is, they are both great saws that I end up using each week.

Someday down the road, I know I will be just like the past stewards of this land and have to hang up my saws for good, but until then. I'll be keeping my family warm with my Stihl's , one tree at a time.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Wow I never knew people had a passion for chainsaws, always thought it was just another "tool" people use to get work done. I guess if it has an engine...us guys are bound to turn it into a passion..

Turbocharged Chainsaw anyone? :D

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted here yet.

Reactions: MudT

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've seen that.. Insane

Really shows that pretty much anything can become a passion :)

I have a relative who is into collecting old school generators. neat stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Antique chainsaws.jpg

I few months ago I was cleaning out a shed and tried to give away these antique chainsaws and no one wanted them. I even placed an ad for free and no one responded so they went for junk. Down sizing and the car parts took priority.

Logging has always been a major industry up here and there is a woodsmen museum here among other things has all the old chainsaws that are really worth seeing. Them old fellows must have had some big arms after running those things all day.

My great grandfather worked in the woods at logging camps and there were winters where they could not get home for Christmas. Now we can get to where those camps were on high powered snowmobiles in an hour. Hard to imagine nowadays.

I can remember as a kid my grandfather taking me back to logging camps. For entertainment the cook would tell stories after supper. They could tell stories that were better than watching a movie, they would keep you right on the edge of your seat. Story telling is a long lost art now, kids don't hardly even talk anymore just text each other.

·
Registered
252 Posts
DG Rider,

Great info.
My dad taught me how to use a chainsaw with a Homelite just a little older than the one in your pic and I still have it and use it once in a while just to keep it running.
My Poulin Pro like your other picture is my daily use around the wood lot.

·
Registered
960 Posts
So I thought about it and and, a chainsaw thread can't be a complete chainsaw thread without a chainsaw prank video :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
^^That guy could "legally" end up dead.
That was my thoughts exactly, hope all those people were "in" on the joke or funny guy with the mask is going to end up with extra ventilation holes sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That was my thoughts exactly, hope all those people were "in" on the joke or funny guy with the mask is going to end up with extra ventilation holes sooner or later.
No crap! Not something for CC states.

·
Registered
658 Posts
cc states? hed atleast have one in the knee if he come up on me I almost always have my 9mm on me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts