Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been visiting this site for a few months now and finally decided to create a username. Good info on here!
So I bought a Pioneer a few months ago and absolutely love it, however I'm starting to get a little nervous about the tranny. I bought this machine brand new and since day one the transmission doesn't shift properly until the engine is completely warmed up. Is this normal???? I would've thought by now more people would be questioning this if it was a common occurance. Basically, after it shifts into 2nd gear it stays there and if I give it more throttle it feels like it's in neutral and it wont downshift unless I come to a complete stop and it won't shift up to third either? I thought at first it was just due to subzero temps (January), but even on a 50-60 degree days it still does it. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe it's not even a problem, just doesn't seem quite right.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I would confidently say that odd shifting is normal until warm up...esp in subzero temps!

If it truly shifts normally when warmed up, then i'd say its fine.

FWIW, Honda says not to drive it until the "LO" disappears off of the temp gauge, but i think that may never happen in really cold temps, so i'd give it 5-10 minutes and then drive it.

Thinner oil will help. Synthetic helps a bunch.

Honda released a TSB about this on the Rincon not too long after it came out. The fact that the tranny uses engine oil for "tranny fluid" ( which is much thicker than the ATF cars use ) is the problem. It basically said that the machine needs to be warmed up before riding.

That neutral feeling you are getting is the clutches slipping. Give them a break and let it warm up longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rincons do the same. when the oil is cold it will slip a bit and sometimes even disengage all together. ive ridden a few hundred feet and it starts fine but then seems like its in nuetral. starts going again after a bit.

No problems. just the nature of the beast and a torque converter tranny.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Using the 10w30 oil and running it slightly overfilled helps but the oil still needs to thin (warm up) to work the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts