Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposed to receive my 1000-5 on Wednesday, looking forward to it! My question is when to drive in turf vs 2wd and when to be in low vs high? This will be my first 4 wheel drive vehicle so I am very new to the offroad driving. My "normal driving" will be on a maintained dirt road that I will probably go max 20 mph on before I venture off down rougher roads going a lot slower. Do you get better gas mileage in turf or 2wd? And at what point should I shift from low to high if ever?

· Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-3
666 Posts
In your other thread, I posted a link to get a digital copy of your Owners Manual.
Some very important pages to read are:
- page 26 and page 31 information about your seat belt speed limiter
Have read about many new owners," Why won't my Honda won't go over 15mph?"
And......I was one of them. HAHAHAHA!!!!
- page 48, 50, 114, 116, 120
Read and heed that notice (complete stop and engine at Idle) before moving shift lever.
It is on so many pages, YES!, it can and will damage your transmission.
- page 50 changing drive modes
Slope Font Parallel Triangle Plot

Font Parallel Electric blue Pattern Circle

If you are in 2WD, 4WD, or 4WD Diff Lock, on hard dry surface, pavement is even worse, you will feel it/hear it.
The differential gears are slightly different sizes. The tires, for sure, are different sizes, even when new. And now you tie them together, all to the same driveline, and force them to turn at the same speed. On dry surface, the gears are binding, fighting against each other, there has to be slippage somewhere, and you feel it as vibration. Hopefully you only feel it as slipping of the tires.
- page 114, 118, 128
The Notice read it all, now read it again, ok, now read it again.
Simple explanation: IF your wheels are not turning, your foot better be on the brake.
Fail to heed that warning, and you will be replacing your clutches.
Now, to answer a few of your questions.
When to drive in Turf vs 2WD vs 4WD vs ? page 120
(complete stop and engine at Idle) before moving shift mode lever
Riding my trails, other trails, our Iowa gravel roads, in town, highways, you name it, I am almost always in turf mode.
This hill, haha, on a trail that the wife and I found while cruising Iowa back roads, I was in turf mode.
I plow snow in Low and 4WD mode.
Your "normal driving" as you described, you will probably be in High, turf mode.
When to be in low vs high? page 116
(complete stop and engine at Idle) before moving shift lever
High most everywhere.
Slower then 10-15 mph I will probably be in low.
My trails that I know, high.
That Cedar River trail that we found, most of it, I was in low.
Have a good day

· Registered
666 Posts
@HondaTREV, I think I used 2WD the first time I tried plowing snow.
It was fine, worked great on the flat.
Then I went down over my hill to push snow to my wood line and it just seemed to spin to much backing up. From then on I started using 4WD, no more spinning.
I agree with you, I do not see myself ever needing only 2WD.
Everyone has their own way of doing things.
But for me, like you pointed out, all I need is turf, 4WD, and 4WD Diff Lock.
Have a good day

· Registered
666 Posts
There’s a low? Haha!
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa to @Araks
Haha.. when plowing snow yes, any other time......NO. (y)
High gear, and drive it like I stole it!
Have a good day

· Registered
4 Posts
Supposed to receive my 1000-5 on Wednesday, looking forward to it! My question is when to drive in turf vs 2wd and when to be in low vs high? This will be my first 4 wheel drive vehicle so I am very new to the offroad driving. My "normal driving" will be on a maintained dirt road that I will probably go max 20 mph on before I venture off down rougher roads going a lot slower. Do you get better gas mileage in turf or 2wd? And at what point should I shift from low to high if ever?
Tire wear is better(less) in Turf. 90% of my driving is in turf. I use 2wd when slippery and use 4wd when needed and Lock front in 4wd when REALLY needed. I’ve currently got over 2500 miles on rear/ 1000 on front Tusk Terrabite tires from Rocky Mountain ATV. Have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts