Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best pound winch to get for all around use? getting stuck and using on a snow plow...is a 3,000lb good enough or would a 2,500lb be ight or do i need a more of a big winch?

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Census so far seems to be 3500# minimum and 4500# preferred.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Venom use to be a decent brand (I've used them in the past) that held up decent. I switched to the Viper winches just for the customer service though. I've had really good luck with that brand as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For what its worth after a bunch of research, I went with a superwinch Terra 45 with synthetic rope. Very happy with my choice

·
Registered
269 Posts
I bought a 3500#, and it's fine.

If I had it to do over again, I might just get a 2000 or 2500 and a couple of good snatch blocks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've got a new 2500lbs winch could I use it and just use a snatch block if I needed would it be strong enough

·
Registered
10 Posts
2500 for an atv. 4000 to 4500 for a utv in my opinion. I had a Viper 4500 with synthetic rope on my Rhino that I got on ebay for about $300. Remember, it's not just the weight of the machine. Add in the weight of the people in it, all the stuff you brought along, and the thick mud you are pulling through.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've got a new 2500lbs winch could I use it and just use a snatch block if I needed would it be strong enough
If you had two snatch blocks, you could turn that 2500# winch into a 7500# winch in pretty short order.

So, yes.......that would be enough....and trump the 4000 and 4500's along the way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just for info-

I have a Superwinch Terra 45 (4500lb)

I've used it several times to pull vehicles- (Geo tracker 4wd, Jeep YJ) up hills and out of ditches in loose, wooded trails. Pulling the vehicles up steep hills compresses the front end hard, but the winch seemed to have little issues doing it.

In short, its a beast. I'd say yes, you could get by with a smaller winch, but for the $209 shipped pricetag I found on Amazon, why would you?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Venom has a 3,500lb with syn rope and the mounting bracket for the pioneer for 244 is that a good deal?

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
If you had two snatch blocks, you could turn that 2500# winch into a 7500# winch in pretty short order.

So, yes.......that would be enough....and trump the 4000 and 4500's along the way.
I am usually short on cable without snatch blocks so if that's the plan carry extra straps. That tree is always just 5 ft farther.. lol

I went with wire rope. I feared synthetic may freeze and get stiff in very cold conditions.
If you ever went with the good synthetic you would never go back to the wire cable. I have abused my amsteel blue and it is holding up great (3-4 yrs old). The wired cable didn't last me that long so I think it is paying for itself. Working with it is much easier also, none of those wires sticking out to draw blood.

Well Venom has a 3,500lb with syn rope and the mounting bracket for the pioneer for 244 is that a good deal?
That sounds about like the average price for the cheaper winches and mounts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts